what classes should I take If I need help finding a major

6
Pros
6
0

Priya’s Answer

Hi Jayelyn,
Explore some classes that sound interesting to you! I had started college with the intention of being a Physician's Assistant, and had majored in Psychology because I found it interesting, and minored in Biology. I also took classes in Counseling, Speech Pathology, Music, Art, etc to get a feel if I wanted to change majors. I ended up sticking with Psychology and changing my career path to Counseling because it interested me more! At that point, I added a Counseling minor. Often, it does not matter what your main major is much as long as you take the right pre-requisite classes for your career path. You can also visit a career counselor at school, and they may help you decide (which I also did!) This is different from your academic advisor (though you can also get their input as well!) Good luck!
1
Pros
1
0

Audrey’s Answer

Hi Jayelyn!
I definitely understand the struggle that comes with deciding your major, as I was in the same boat just a couple of years ago. One tactic I would recommend in order to find the right fit is to explore intro classes in different departments to get a feel for what the subject is about and how it is taught at your university. When I was a freshman, I took classes in various areas such as computer science, biology, math, history, cultural studies, and philosophy before finding that biology was what interested me most. From then, I began to take more biology-related courses and found that my passion for it only grew bigger over time!
I would suggest looking around for courses that your university offers that sound interesting to you and going from there. You definitely don't have to force yourself to take anything that doesn't seem appealing, and so you can rule out subjects or majors that you know you don't want to look into. After crossing out some, you can begin enrolling in classes that you feel would be helpful to you and your exploration. If you need more help, I think asking your college adviser or attending seminars held by different departments could be really beneficial!
Good luck :)
1
Pros
1
0

Naomi’s Answer

I would recommend that you reach out to a career counselor, take a personality test, or skills assessment to see what is suited for you. Think about things you like and try to find a way to make that a career. If you like taking things apart and putting them back together, maybe look into engineering. If you are a technical person, maybe look into computer science. If you like helping people, maybe something in the medical or mental health fields, business, customer service, application support.
1
Pros
1
0

Alyssa’s Answer

Hi Jayelyn,
This is such a great question! I struggled with this as well when I started college and found that a lot of my peers were asking similar questions. I agree with Audrey--definitely take some intro classes in different departments and explore what's out there. It's ok to be unsure of what you want to do, and nobody's college path is the same, so take your time and enjoy the journey.
1
Pros
1
0

Take any and all the classes that interest you. When you find an area that continues to interest you and you think you can find a job in, then pursue that with all your heart.
1
Pros
1
0

Natalie’s Answer

Hi Jayelyn!

When I was in community college I took general studies, so I was able to take a variety of courses. This was so helpful because I had no idea what I wanted to major in yet. But taking lots of different courses helped me figure out what I was the most interested in, and also figure out what I definitely didn't like. It's tough to decide on a major without really having any kind of experience in it yet.
0