Melissa A.

Orlando, FL, USA

701

20

How do employer's really see an applicant with a disability?

I have a tracheotomy and although I am familiar with the laws pertaining to those who are disabled, do employers actually consider hiring you if you are disabled in the back of their minds? I have been out of work for a while due to my issue, but finally have the situation under control. I speak very well, but I do have to take breaks in sentences to get air sometimes.

A lot of employers don't want to deal with you if they think you are going to be a hassle or a liability. They aren't allowed to ask certain questions but if you think they notice something give a brief explanation if you think it's necessary. They basically want to know if something will interfere with your ability to do the job, if it will inconvenience them in any way, and if they will have to deal with you having absences or being out on disability. Give them a short, simple explanation and then focus on your qualifications for the job.

Last updated Feb 18 at 09:38

1 comment

Oh yes, when people say "We don't discriminate against color, sex, disability and so on.." yes they say from their mouths, but the eyes are the true windows of the world and tell what the person truly thinks. I have gone through this for thirty years of job seeking and employment and it gets no easier each time. For me, I always say "if you don't hire me, then your competitions bottom line shall be greater because they shall recognize my greatness........" The key is it is not a disability, but just differently abled. Always remember this and your career journey shall be fruitful. One other thing, when you do feel down just speak about it and it does get better.

Last updated May 08 at 08:46

icon-country-tags Ashburn, VA, USA

Schools Add a school