How do employer's really see an applicant with a disability?

I have a tracheotomy and although I am familiar with the laws pertaining to those who are disabled, do employers actually consider hiring you if you are disabled in the back of their minds? I have been out of work for a while due to my issue, but finally have the situation under control. I speak very well, but I do have to take breaks in sentences to get air sometimes.

Question Topics

icon-country-tagsunited-states-of-america, united-kingdom-of-great-britain-and-northern-ireland

496

18

One answers:

A lot of employers don't want to deal with you if they think you are going to be a hassle or a liability. They aren't allowed to ask certain questions but if you think they notice something give a brief explanation if you think it's necessary. They basically want to know if something will interfere with your ability to do the job, if it will inconvenience them in any way, and if they will have to deal with you having absences or being out on disability. Give them a short, simple explanation and then focus on your qualifications for the job.

One comment