samson O.’s Avatar

samson O.

446

7

data analyst

so i am planning to be a data analyst after my graduation from computer engineering from the university. i am curios on what i need to do to fulfil this career dream, do i need more studies after my graduation or what path should i embark on after my studies? #engineering #graduate-school #academic-advising #academic-advisor

Data analyst is an excellent choice!  Do not be discouraged however if you cannot immediately get a permanent full time position. My company and many others hire entry level data analysts through contract work from a separate firm so take a look at what temporary contract agencies there are in the area where you want to work. The agencies should be able to tell you which applications and tools are used by their employing companies. Learn about these applications and become proficient in their use. Your skill in them and understanding of charts, graphs, and other visual aspects of data will help you stand out during your job search.  I have hired many data analysts specifically because of this stand out. Once you have worked for a year as a contract employee, you will likely have good opportunities to move into a permanent role at the company.  Data analysis is a crucial core element of business and I applaud you in your career choice !

This professional recommends the following next steps:

• Contact contract agencies in your area and determine what applications their employing companies use.
  • Gain proficiency in those tools and applications. Be sure to fully understand how those tools translate data into visual charts and graphs and how those are used to convey data trends.
  • Make yourself available for entry level work in data analytics. Don't be afraid to take a position which is mostly data scrubbing or data entry. This will lead to more challenging work in time.
Last updated Oct 12 at 09:49

I would recommend joining an entry level data analyst role in a large company (technology, banking, e-commerce..) after your graduation. It will be a great opportunity to apply what you've learned (especially programming), while simultaneously giving you the chance to understand how an enterprise works. A few years of experience here would give you a great perspective before you proceed with a higher degree, whether you want to focus on an MS, or an MBA. 

Last updated Oct 12 at 06:58

Familiarizing yourself with popular data analysis tools can be really useful. Learn a programming language that is great at data munging such as Python.

Education wise, deeper studies in statistics, math, computer science is often great. Taking specific classes targeted at data science, analytics etc can also be very fruitful.

Last updated Feb 22 '17 at 21:48