How can I accumulate work experience?

Now many recruitments require work experience. I wander as a college student, how I can accumulate work experience? #job #job-search #college-jobs #first-job #job-market

3

Dawnyale’s Answer

In addition to internships, it couldn't hurt to participate in volunteer opportunities that may allow you to strengthen skills in your spare time. Ask professionals in organizations, teams and groups you're a part of if they are aware of any opportunities within your field you could assist with. Assisting a friend or family member with their businesses, participating in work-sponsored activities, or joining weekly groups that will allow you to gain additional experience would be a great way for you to gain experience that may be applicable to your career in the future.

Thank you! Chun L.

1

Greg’s Answer

Seek out internships and co-op opportunities through your school or online. These provide very good opportunities for those with little to no experience. I worked 4 different internships in college and found all of them through the university placement office, bulletin board postings, and being involved with clubs on campus.

Thank you! Chun L.

While in college, internships, job boards & co-ops all help gain valuable work experience. Also, no matter what your job function, always do your best & always be willing to learn more & grow. Hope that helps!! Good luck!! Joi Robinson

1

Sheryl’s Answer

I don't know what year you are in college. If possible, work a summer job, but not a low-level fast-food type job... try to find something in your area. Talk to people in your field to find out if any low-level positions in their company and/or ask them to refer you to anyone who might know of an opportunity. Ask, ask, ask... with persistence (and a little luck), you will find something to get you started. Be prepared for low (or no) pay and grunt work. Nice to think "but I have a degree", but nearly everyone has to start at the bottom, and it provides you with a great knowledge base as you work your way up.

If you are still in college, join a group! The best option is one related to your career field, but if not available, join another group or volunteer with a local organization. Surprisingly, there are many activities that can be related to "work experience" that are not official, paid jobs. Be creative and think about the skills you are looking for and tie what you do to what want to emphasize as job experience.

Sheryl recommends the following next steps:

Check out an online option like MeetUp to find local groups that may be focused on your area of interest.
Ask, ask, ask... No one will say "yes" or give you an opportunity unless you specifically ask.

0

Blake’s Answer

Hey Chun,

I would highly recommend doing an internship! Many of them are paid and it will give you experience in your field of study.

Thanks,
Blake

0