9

How to politely end a virtual 1:1 meeting?

I attend my mentoring sessions or general talks with my coach and it sometimes gets awkward because I don't know how to end a meeting like I don't know how to signal that "I've asked all my questions and I have nothing more to ask". What do I say or do?

9

3

Meghan’s Answer

Hi Shaina, great question!

I would recommend that before your meetings you make a list of your questions and topics you would like to discuss during that session. Depending how formal the sessions are, you can keep this list to yourself or share it as an agenda with your mentor! This list will help you to organize your questions and get the most out of your mentor's experience. Also, having questions prepared shows your mentor you care about the meetings and appreciate their advice!

The list will also serve as a natural stopping point. If you share it on screen, your mentor will visually see that you have covered everything. If you prefer to keep it on paper, you can more confidently say all your questions are answered. I will stress that it's always better to come with a lot of questions because it can be awkward if you have nothing to ask. And of course, always thank them for their time and advice!

Thank you comment icon Thank you so much for your advice! Very Helpful! Shaina T.
3
1

Joseph R.’s Answer

When I am in a mentoring session and we have tackled my agenda, I ask the mentor whether they have or need anything from me. There may be topics or items the mentor wants to discuss as well. I've always been able to get insight by asking this question.
Thank you comment icon I will use this advice as I prepare for my career. Shaina T.
1
1

Mary’s Answer

I would start with a thank you very much for this informative session
I appreciate the time that you’ve invested and I’ll see you at our next session have a great evening or a great day
Thank you comment icon Thank you so much, Mary! Shaina T.
1
0

Nicole’s Answer

Leading into a "Thank you" is always a good approach. I would maybe say "Thank you so much for taking the time to meet with me today. I think we covered everything I had questions on, but I look forward to meeting again." This will indicate that the conversation is ready to end, but still shows respect for the time of your mentor.
0
0

Nicole’s Answer

0
0

Ben’s Answer

I agree with everyone here who mentioned having an agenda. That way, the viewer will see that when your at the end of an agenda, it basically means the call is over. A couple of other things you can do is set expectations right at the beginning of a call and inform the person that you have a "hard stop" at 30 minutes past the hour or whenever your meeting is intended to end. The reason for that is, that you have another call or appointment that you cant be late for. If you stated the hard stop at the beginning of the meeting and they forgot about it when your running over, just say, "I have another call I need to get to." You can also let them know that you can always have a follow up call if everything wasn't covered.

In addition, as you get closer to the end of the meeting, try not to ask open ended questions as some people have a tendency to ramble on. Save the topics at the end to be yes-no type answers. These are some of the tricks I have learned over the years...
Thank you comment icon I ask open-ended questions at the end to fill in the silence. Thank you so much for the advice. Definitely will incorporate it next time I have another session. Shaina T.
0
0

M’s Answer

Hi Shaina! This is a great question. I actually struggled with this as well for a while. What worked for me was I after I have asked all my questions and if there is a silence/awkwardness arising, let your coach know that you've asked her all your questions and that you had nothing further, make her aware that you greatly appreciate her time. They will know that you are trying to end the meeting. This will guide your discussion to a close! Hope this helps, good luck!
Thank you comment icon Thank you Ms. Minha for your insight! Shaina T.
0
0

Daniela’s Answer

I would echo the above replies, and add another piece of advice: I find very productive for both parts to recap what was discussed in the session and show what you will do next. It also allows the coach to add anything he/she think might be missing. It demonstrates you see value is his/her time and advice, and have an action plan based on what you have discussed.
Thank you comment icon Thank you so much Ms. Schneider for the advice. I will do a recap next time. :) Shaina T.
0
0

I like Megan's answers, solid advice.
I run a lot of meetings and I find it best to have an agenda that I want to cover. That sets the tone for the meeting.
Ending a meeting isn't always easy, however, honesty usually works. You said "I've asked all my questions and I have nothing more to ask" that would be great to say, followed by "Thank you!"
Thank you comment icon I'm excited to put your great advice to good use! Thank you so much, Mr. Hamilton! Shaina T.
0