4
Updated 137 views Translate

coders out there do you find happiness in your job

is it fulfilling both eating wise and happiness wise

4

2

Fred’s Answer

I have enjoyed being a coder. It's a lot like solving puzzles. When you come up with a correct, elegant, and simple solution, it's a great feeling.

IT positions tend to pay fairly well, compared to many other career fields, but I would posit that most people don't go into coding because the money is good. The do it because they enjoy it. Almost no job is worth the salary if you don't enjoy what you are doing.
Thank you comment icon Thank you for taking the time to help. Adam P.
2
1

Chiranjib’s Answer

Happiness is to be found within, not outside.
But philosophy apart, ideally, any job should provide two things - good learning, and good earning.
If we get both, AWESOME!
But that does not always happen. There is a third component I cherish, "challenges".
I started my career as a developer/coder and then moved on to other roles. Even after 16 years, I enjoy doing hands-on stuff, that challenges me.
I feel a different kind of thrill after solving a complex challenge. Sometimes things do not go my way. I have my bad days and good days.

But I do not let my bad days ruin my good days!! This is very important!!
Overall, I am happy, as of today, at this moment.

Do you code or plan to? Try it and let me know how you feel!
1
0

Dexter’s Answer

Hi Adam,

What an interesting question! Thank you for asking it.

For me, I found out just a couple years ago (in my mid/late thirties) that the purpose to my life is that I need to help others who are in need. And my feeling of being fulfilled at my work depends on if I can view the work that I do as aligning to my life's purpose. Thankfully, at my work, there are plenty of opportunities to help those within my company and outside the company, and so I am very much fulfilled with my work most of my days.

I hope the answer helped Adam!

--
Dexter
Thank you comment icon Thank you so much for the advice. Adam P.
0
0

Hanley’s Answer

I'm happy with my job, but I don't expect my job to provide me with all my life fulfillment. The idea of finding a job that is "fulfilling" is something of a myth in the US. I used to kayak for a living on some of the best whitewater rivers in the eastern US. It was a fantastic job, but it was still a job and there were days I just didn't want to get out of bed and go to work.

My point is, you need to find a job that is satisfying to you and that gives you what you need to stick with it for the long term, but you also need to live outside of your work if you want to be happy. Don't be discouraged if your job doesn't provide you with total life fulfillment.

Last thought, whenever you hear someone say, "I love my job, I get up every day happy to go to work", they are usually promoting something about their job or lifestyle. I used to say that to people about my kayaking job. It wasn't really accurate, but I did like my job and I loved kayaking and it would have been very counterproductive to say anything else. People who admire what you do don't want to hear that. Saying anything else means you're stuck in a long explanatory conversation that never translates well anyway, so you just say it and move on.
0