4
Updated 116 views Translate

What jobs should I look for as an early student on the path to become a Registered Dietitian?

Looking for more info around becoming a dietitian

Thank you comment icon What is RD2Be? what is an RD? Fred Rosenberger
Thank you comment icon Hey Jazmin, I'm assuming by RD, you meant Registered Dietitian so I made that change in your question. Please let me know if you meant something else! Gurpreet Lally, Admin
Thank you comment icon Hi Jazmin, I would recommend talking to your professors, classmates and asking for recommendations of people currently working as Dieticians for their advice. I think that talking directly to those who have taken your path already will give you some very good insights and feedback for what types of jobs to pursue while you work on getting your degree. Also consider checking out Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn and onetonline.org about what types of qualifications you need to be a Dietician. Perhaps getting a job at a clinic or medical center will help your chances once you receive your degree. Best of luck! Joel Volkert

4

0

Sikawayi’s Answer

Hello Jazmine, what a great question I would suggest that since you're just starting out in school and the job market, I will say you're going to have enough going on with your classes so as far as working I would say start with volunteer work. Most states have a volunteer program for workers who need experience in your case I suggest you apply for hospitals or school cafeterias. Best of luck
0
0

Darby’s Answer

Hi Jazmin-

Congrats on taking the first steps towards becoming an RD! There is no “right” path to become a dietitian; however, any nutrition experience definitely makes you stand out on an application.

Diet techs are vital to the nutrition team and typically have minimal requirements for hire. Techs assist in different ways- but in a clinical setting, techs typically work in the call center of the hospital to place orders for patients.

Thinking ahead is already showing you have the drive to become an RD- stick with it! Seek out any assistantships, tech, or community positions you can find.

Good luck out there-
Darby Fisher MS, RD

0
0

Danielle’s Answer

Hi Jazmin, I am a registered dietitian and I asked myself this same question years ago!

As an RD you are working with food and people in many different environments. Jobs in the hospital food service department such as a diet tech, meal host (person that takes patient meal orders, often patients are on various types of diets), tray line, kitchen supervisor all look great on resumes. Working at a grocery store may help with exposure to various types of foods or customer service or a job involving food preparation helps you gain knowledge on food safety and sanitation. Working at a food bank or WIC will give you good community nutrition experience too. If you have a HS diploma some universities hire lab assistants for research projects and this is also really great experience.
0
0

Bailey’s Answer

I know we hire registered dietitians in the hospital. Reach out to the director and see what options you have. Occasionally you will need to do some research and bypass HR to message the director or go to the hospital and ask to talk to the director. Sometimes working close with a dietician to see what it is all about it helpful! And you can start networking for a future job and networking for recommendation letters from other registered dietitians.
0