3
Updated 143 views Translate

I want to become a runway model.

I am 5’9 and have the measurements of 34-24-36. Although I need to lose 2 inches off my hips to become a runway model, do you think runway modelling agencies will accept me?

Thank you comment icon I have no experience with modeling in any way but wanted to jump on here to give some support! Bodies come in so many wonderful shapes, sizes, and abilities and each one deserves to be celebrated. The fashion industry is starting to understand that and hire more diverse models. This can be seen with Victoria's Secret cancelling their fashion show which used to be a major annual event but is no longer because of the lack of diversity. I think if a company asks you to lose weight/alter your measurements, you should walk away as that is not a company that respects you. Good luck! Gurpreet Lally, Admin

3

0

James’s Answer

Ignore does factors it's your body find an agency that works with plus size remember be beautiful,be bold and cheerful because that's what you sell in any and every designed clothing you wear on the run way,the clothes must feel comfortable on you,just bond with the force of nature around you and that's it ,no body regulations but healthy living,cheers

James recommends the following next steps:

You know what l think of this is if you're to cut down on 2inch of your hips you should look for a modeling agency that work for plus size , regular and work with them
Thank you comment icon Thank you for your answer, I still need to lose the inches and am working towards it. As I’m still 15, do you think agencies might let me on and work with me to remove the weight? I am 56kg and 5’9 now with the same measurements 34-24-36 Samira
0
0

Sikawayi’s Answer

Hello Samira, thank you for your question. Well, I should start by telling you that that height and those measurements means absolutely nothing these days. We our living in the time of diversity where you are exceptionally overqualified for not looking like what used to be normal. Just pay attention to the TV as of late you will see plus size models in swim suite commercials and underwear ad's So size and looks really isn't what's going to get you the job it'll be acceptance of your fellow man.
Thank you comment icon Thank you for your advice! Samira
0
0

Michelle’s Answer

Hi, Samira -

The world of fashion modeling is both fun and lucrative so you are interested in an exciting field. You are in England and I am familiar with the American fashion industry and can say that it's not much different from England. So much rich fashion history stemmed from England especially during the 1960's.

I would encourage you to submit your portfolio and not worry about your hip size. Agents are looking for a certain look. Go to as many "go sees" as you possibly can. A most important piece of advice: do not limit yourself. Runway modeling is just one of the many ways models obtain work. Familiarize yourself with the employment process of print modeling - advertising and catalog. There is also opportunity to do media commercials. Many times they use models. Modeling goes far beyond just the runway. You should build a portfolio for this and try to get any paid or unpaid experience modeling by doing local competitions or local fashion shows. Even if you do not get paid at first it will show agents that you have experience.

As I have mentioned, most agents already have in mind the look they are seeking for a particular project. Do not compare yourself to others. You are unique and your unique look should be celebrated.

I just want to mention that the filed of modeling has greatly changed and new doors have been opened for models who are deaf, have Down's Syndrome and even skin pigmentation disorders, so having hips that may be a couple of inches bigger should not be anything to be concerned about. The important thing is that you do not limit yourself, that you network with other models, agencies and fashion industry people and obtain as much experience to have a superb portfolio containg a variety of fashion looks.

Best wishes on your way to an exciting career !
Thank you comment icon Thank you, this is amazing! I really needed it. Samira
Thank you comment icon I appreciate your support, Michelle Nora
0