Is it possible to get a degree in exercise science, and not specialize in something yet still get a good paying job?

I know I want an exercise science degree, but i'm not sure what I want to use it for. Since it is so generic and broad, can I get a bachelors degree in it, and get a good job without specializing?
#sports-medicine #medicine #college #career #lost #hospital #physicaltherapy #workout #technology #desire #job

6

Nathan’s Answer

Something to think about when you are considering jobs available through your education path is that our careers encompass many different things in addition to education. Other experience like volunteering, part-time work, and many other skill building activities all contribute to our overall employability.

To use a personal example, I took a very general degree because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do for work either. I ended up working at the Career Centre on campus as a student for a couple of years, and came back full time after I graduated.

If you are interested in exercise science and have the means to complete the program, I would recommend going for it without worrying too much about what comes after at this point. You can set some short-term goals and next steps to accomplish that can keep your skills up to date and keep you on the right path, and adapt your goals or plans for after you finish your education as you go.

If you are still unsure, try looking for someone with an exercise science degree and find out what they are doing. Your school may be able to help you find alumni like this. Ask them for an information interview, where you can sit down with them for 30 minutes and pick their brains about what their experience has been like during, and after school.

1

Stephen’s Answer

As someone with an exercise science degree and no specialization, I found that finding a complimentary minor such as leadership/supervision/business will go a long way to help you be more marketable and well rounded as you do you job searches.

0

Hwal’s Answer

Hailey, I see you asked the question a while ago. My undergrad degree was even more general than exercise science, and it turned out to be fine for what I want to do - graduate studies to become a PA. Ultimately, it depends on what you consider to be a good pay and what careers interest you. For example, you might become an exercise physiologist or study on to become a physical therapist.

It might be a good idea to think about what you want to do for a career and why you chose this major.

Hwal

0

Mallory’s Answer

I would talk to your advisor. The exercise science majors I know, including myself, were using it as a first step into further education.

0