35
Asked 684 views

How can I find a part-time accounting job while attending college?

Im currently an accounting student at Santa Monica College transferring to a four-year university this fall 2023. I have completed both Financial and Managerial accounting courses and information systems courses that emphasize Microsoft Excel.

Thank you comment icon Google top 20 accounting firms in your local area and apply for internship. You can also apply for summer positions, leadership programs and etc from your school's career website. Attend professional events hosted by the school, job fairs and etc. Ray Tan

35

5

Nicholas’s Answer

Hello! Below are a couple ideas:

1. Reach out to your school's career center. They should have resources to help with this process.
2. Update your resume and create a LinkedIn and Handshake profile. Many jobs are posted on LinkedIn and Handshake that are for part-time jobs/internships that are for college students.
3. Reach out to local and nationwide accounting firms with offices in your area. Showing initiative by reaching out to them is great!
5
2

Jennifer’s Answer

An internship is a great way to get paid while gaining valuable accounting experience. Please feel free to review Armanino's job postings: https://armaninollp.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/
2
1

Qinghao’s Answer

First, check with your business school's career center, as alumni or local businesses often post job openings there. Your school may also have an internal finance or accounting department that sometimes hires students. When starting out, there is no need to be too specific on the role; having any experience is better than none. Meanwhile, attend as many career events at school as possible. By showing your passion and dedication, you might receive help from unexpected sources when opportunities arise.
1
1

Shreyasee’s Answer

Hi Eric, I would like to recommend joining California Society of CPAs and attend any networking events that are offered by them to explore opportunities through that. Also, checking job listings on the websites of your local accounting firms would be a good starting point. Good luck and best wishes.
Thank you comment icon I'm excited to put your great advice to good use! Eric
1
1

Melody’s Answer

Hi! I would recommend checking if any in school accounting job as priority. For example, you can even check with your professor if any TA for accounting class is needed. Also, maybe even cashier at the café or clerk in the office. Working in school can help you balance your job and study and doesn’t require much commute time.
1
1

Jen’s Answer

I would highly recommend approaching a Temp Agency. I had very little experience in accounting and was able to secure a temporary job that allowed me to learn a lot of skills while training on the job. From there, I was able to leverage my new skills and experience into a full-time accounting position and have been able to "climb the ladder" from there. Temp Agencies are a GREAT option for people newer to the field and looking for a short term/summer job.
1
1

Zachary’s Answer

Work with your Career Center at your college to see if they have any organizations that they partner with. Typically, these organizations are specifically looking for people in college to fill roles and willing to learn. For instance, when I was in school, I was able to find a part-time job through my career center in the accounting field which lined up with my major (i.e., Accounting). The owner of the business was actually an alumni of the university I attended and therefore wanted to support students from that school. Also, I was able to find a job on campus which is sometimes easier as you don't have to go very far to work (assuming that you live on/near campus). Sometimes these jobs aren't posted on formal career boards like LinkedIn because they are specific for students at that college.
Thank you comment icon Thanks, can't wait to put this advice into action! Eric
1
0

Ashley’s Answer

Taking part in an internship is an excellent opportunity to gain entry into the professional world. The majority of public accounting companies welcome interns. Regardless of whether you're pursuing a career in public accounting or not, this experience offers valuable insights and adds an impressive touch to your resume!
0
0

Jake’s Answer

Hi, I recommend you get in touch with your firm's career center. Usually, there are a good amount of listings. Career centers are also good for resume building and interviewing practice.
Thank you comment icon Thank you for the advice, Jake. Eric
0
0

Kristen’s Answer

When I was in college- I got a job as a student accountant in our student center. We supported the food services and cash operations for the university, as well as inventory for events and things like that. It was a great experience, so look at the school you are attending! Also, public accounting firms hire interns as soon as Sophomores. I would go to the career fairs, because public firms are always present and looking for interns.
Thank you comment icon I appreciate you taking the time to answer this. Eric
0
0

Angela’s Answer

I suggest checking out Craigslist for available accounting job opportunities, along with other user-friendly job search platforms like Indeed, Jobseekers, and Career Builder. These sites will surely help you find the perfect job!
0
0

david’s Answer

Hi, Eric,
In many ways, it's the same as applying for any job. You can look for ads for accountants and respond. OR, you can apply to companies where you feel you might be a good fit, such as small companies that may not need a full-time account. Prepare a letter of application, focusing on your ability to do accounting and your college experience. This is an unsolicited job application, so send to many possible employers. You may want to prepare a different job letter when writing to large companies, as the possibilities there would be in a support position, most likely. All the best.
Thank you comment icon Thanks for the advice. Eric
0
0

Temitayo’s Answer

Finding a part-time accounting job while attending college can be a great way to gain practical experience in your field and earn some income. Here are some steps you can take to find such a job:

1. Update your resume: Ensure that your resume is tailored for accounting positions, highlighting any relevant coursework, skills, or internships you have completed. Emphasize your ability to balance work and study commitments.

2. Networking: Reach out to your college's career services department or accounting faculty to explore any job opportunities or connections they may have. Attend career fairs, accounting club events, and professional networking events to meet potential employers or professionals in the accounting field.

3. Online job search: Utilize online job boards and websites that cater specifically to part-time or student jobs, such as Indeed, LinkedIn, or your college's job board. Use relevant keywords like "part-time accounting," "student accounting jobs," or "accounting internships" to narrow down your search.

4. Local businesses and firms: Contact local accounting firms, small businesses, or nonprofits in your area to inquire about part-time accounting positions. Often, these organizations may be more open to hiring college students due to the flexibility they can offer.

5. Internships and externships: Explore opportunities for accounting internships or externships in your area. These positions can provide valuable experience and may even lead to future job offers. Check with your college's career services department for any available internships or externship programs.

6. Utilize your college resources: Visit your college's career services office to seek guidance on finding part-time accounting jobs. They may have connections with local businesses or be aware of upcoming job opportunities.

7. Flexibility and time management: When applying for part-time jobs, emphasize your ability to manage your time effectively and balance work with your academic responsibilities. Employers value candidates who can demonstrate their commitment to both their studies and their job.

8. Online freelancing platforms: Consider registering on freelancing platforms like Upwork, Freelancer, or Fiverr, where you can offer your accounting skills and services on a freelance basis. This option allows for greater flexibility and the opportunity to work remotely.

9. Create a LinkedIn profile: Build a professional presence on LinkedIn, showcasing your accounting skills and academic achievements. Connect with professionals in the accounting industry and join relevant groups to expand your network.

10. Be proactive: Don't wait for job postings to appear. Reach out to businesses directly, inquire about potential opportunities, and express your interest in working part-time in accounting. Sometimes, companies may create a position for a qualified candidate who shows initiative.

Remember, the job search process may take time and require persistence. Stay proactive, keep refining your skills, and make use of the resources available to you through your college and professional networks. Good luck!
0
0

Jess’s Answer

Next to all the other answers, you can also try attending networking events or certain accounting-related events organized by your school. Networking can turn into some very fulfilling positions and can jump start careers of many college students.
0
0

Heather’s Answer

When I was in college I was a part of the Accounting Society. That helped me learn about different accounting jobs and helped me decide what area in accounting I wanted to pursue. They helped me with my resume writing and also had mock interviews. I would look to see if you have something like that on your campus or contact your campus's career center like many have mentioned. I would also attend any job fairs that your campus or neighboring college campus have. A lot of companies at those events are looking for interns or part-time employees.
0
0

Celina’s Answer

Feel free to get in touch with your college's Career Center or take a look at various company websites to find out if they offer any internships for college students. If you can't find a specific internship listing, don't worry! You can always send your resume to the HR department of a company you like, and they'll let you know about any available internship positions.
0
0