Athier A.’s Avatar

Athier A.

91

2

What courses do you need to take for medical school?

I want to know that I'm taking the right courses and that I'm on the right path to becoming a pediatrician. #pediatrics #pediatric-nursing #pediatrician #medical-practice

Any preparation you can undertake before medical school will make medical school more relevant, interesting (because you're building on top of previous knowledge) and easier (because you already have some familiarity with the subject matter). Also, choosing an undergrad degree that gives you a special skill enables you to support yourself (somewhat) during medical school. As for me, graduating with a degree in pharmacy and working as a hospital pharmacist made many parts of medical school much easier, less stressful, etc. I was able to work and support myself somewhat. My roommate was an RN, and worked every other weekend in the ICU. We were both comfortable in the hospital environment, used to working with the public, and had a great deal of medical knowledge already. Sure, getting a degree in biology might seem like a good idea, or even a pre-med course of study, but having been through the medical school and residency process along with colleagues from a variety of backgrounds, I can tell you that being a pharmacist made the process much easier and relevant.
Last updated Nov 26 '17 at 20:49
Hi Athier, The sciences (chemistry, math, physics) are pretty helpful to get through the first 2 years of medical school, but classes that teach you how to think analytically are important--one of the smartest people in my medical school class was a history major.
Last updated Nov 09 '17 at 00:28
Every Med school wants certain core classes you MUST take. Look at any med school website and they will tell you. It’s stuff like biology, chemistry, anatomy, biochemistry, organic chem, etc. Good luck!
Last updated Dec 02 '17 at 07:38