5
Asked 338 views

Is it worth it to play basketball at a D3 college ?

I am going into my junior year of high-school and I have been playing competitive basketball and sports since 2nd grade. I am trying to make the decision whether or not I should continue in college.

5

2

Tom’s Answer

If you enjoy playing sports and are confident you can handle the sizeable time demands that study, homework, games and practice will require - then sure, go for it. Remember that a tiny % of college athletes will ever play professionally, so prioritize your study and school work higher than your athletic pursuits. And if from a time perspective it "all becomes too much", then reassess and take a different path.

I went to a D3 school and thought it was a great experience - enjoy!
2
1

Paul’s Answer

I think that it is.

Division III colleges tend to be some of the best in the country, as far as academics and sports.

I would start researching possible financial scholarships and aid opportunities right now, because these colleges, under NCAA rules, do not offer athletic scholarships.

I went to a Division III college, and it was a fantastic experience for me, both academically and athletically.
1
1

Aneesh’s Answer

Truly, your choice hinges on your personal desires.

As someone who is presently a D1 collegiate football student-athlete, I may not be able to give you a precise picture of what D3 basketball entails. However, having strongly considered playing D3 football in the past, I do have some insights to share.

Generally speaking, participating in collegiate sports can significantly enhance your resume, as it demonstrates your ability to juggle multiple responsibilities simultaneously. It also highlights your experience in team environments and working towards shared objectives. The drawback with D3 sports, however, is the lack of athletic scholarships. But if your passion for the sport is strong and it doesn't interfere with your academic pursuits, I would wholeheartedly recommend you to play college ball.

Keep in mind, though, that being a collegiate student-athlete demands a significant portion of your time. Therefore, you need to carefully consider the intensity and time requirements of your chosen major, as well as whether you'll need to work to support your education financially. At many D3 schools, academics take precedence, and numerous coaches are sympathetic to this fact. Balancing all these aspects is certainly achievable, but it's something to think about.

Choose a school that you genuinely love, and surround yourself with teammates who make the experience enjoyable. I would advise against selecting a school solely based on the coaching staff, given the frequent personnel changes in college sports. However, it's crucial that your coaches are supportive. My experiences have been incredibly rewarding, and I wouldn't exchange them for anything. There are numerous benefits to playing college sports, but also many factors to consider. Ultimately, it's about discovering what suits you best.
1
0

Antonio’s Answer

Hello

If you desire to continue playing sports at a collegiate level then going to play at a D3 is a great opportunity. Most dont get the chance to participate in sports after high school. There has been some athletes that play professionally after playing at a D3 school.
0
0

Keith’s Answer

As a former student-athlete, I can assure you that the college journey differs based on various factors like size, division, and location. But no matter where you end up, seize every opportunity that comes your way. If you're offered the chance to earn money while playing a sport you love...grab it without hesitation. Yes, being a student-athlete can be tough, but it's also a golden opportunity to learn valuable life lessons that pave the way to success.

College may not be the right path for everyone due to academic pressures or financial constraints. However, if you have the opportunity to continue playing basketball at any level while furthering your education, don't let it slip away! Remember, you're only this young once, and you'll never get this chance again. Unfortunately, the window of opportunity for athletes is quite small. So, make the most of your opportunities to grow smarter, stronger, and more well-rounded. You never know, the connections you make now could be the stepping stones to your future success.
0