What Careers Could Help Me To Hone My Passions And Creative Talents?

Updated Kansas City, Kansas

I am a sophomore in high school and I am currently in my high school's competitive choir that will be going to New York in about a month for competitions. I am also in Debate and Forensics at my school, both of which are regionally and nationally recognized. Each day these activities challenge my creativity and help me to become a better actor, performer and singer. But I am having a hard time finding the right career for me. I know I want to minor in Business and Management in college so that I can make smart business decisions regarding my personal brand but I want a career that will allow me to be passionate but will also challenge me to further my abilities. Please help me! #business #music #acting #producer #performing-arts #creativity

Playwright & Author’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

I recommend you become a certified producer at the free cable station if they have one in your town. This way you can produce shows, act your self and put on the air free of charge. Bring other acts on your tv show and make a name for yourself. Becoming a Certified Community Producer opens a lot of doors. I hope this helps.

Thank you so much for your advice!
You are welcome. God Bless.

Roberta’s Answer

Updated San Antonio, Texas

Hi Brandon, I'd recommend looking into internships or volunteering in your area in your spare time (perhaps during the summer or even on the weekends). Try out different positions in the fields you are most interested in. This will give you a good idea of the field you're interested in as well as specific roles within the industry. Also, consider the reasons why you have joined the groups at school that you are involved in. For example - take debate and forensics, do you prefer the social aspect to being involved in these clubs or do you like being presented a case and looking at it in an analytical way? If you look at the activities you enjoy you'll often find a common theme which could be helpful when looking at careers as well.

Just from you describing what you're currently involved in, I would recommend looking into Communications or even Marketing. These fields often offer creative freedom while also allowing you to learn more about business and branding.

Thank you so much for your advice!