How could a producer get his/her track out there and bought by a record label/singer/rapper

Updated Oakland, California

I am currently a freshman in high school and I have had an interest in music for a while and I will consider a music producer as a future career. #music-production #music #music-production #music-business #business

Amy’s Answer

I don't work as a professional producer but I do write music, and I have a number of people I know that do this for a living. (That's why I focused on having a day job and doing music on the side.)

I won't lie: it's hard. It means getting noticed and hustling like nothing else. :) A lot of your work might never get picked up, but you gotta keep producing. It sounds like you want to make the tracks that people want to sing over or collaborate on.

First, music production. Learn Ableton: that's the industry standard now. Lots of people like FL Studio, Cubase, or other digital audio workstations (DAWs). Learn about EQ and songwriting. I like listening to the Switched on Pop podcast and searching YouTube. If you're in the Bay Area (your profile says Oakland) there is an Ableton User Group that meets like once a month. (Shameless plug: I run a monthly electronic music producers meetup.)

Second, get out there. Publish on your Instagram, your SoundCloud, your YouTube. Produce, produce, produce. Get some albums up on BandCamp.

Third, and probably most importantly, hustle for network. This can be really scary. Going from bedroom producer to actual performing artist/collaborator is hard. But you have to build that network. Get your friends to like/share your tracks. Go to meetups. Do remix competitions---I used to Beatport ones where they give you separate "stems" of vocals/percussion/bass/etc. Publish often. If you are old enough you can go to shows and bars and stuff and do open mic, or hang around DJs, or hang around the "green room" area. Volunteer at shows and conventions. Talk up your skills and your producer game. Collaborate online and with your friends. 99.5% of the work most people won't see, but there's the chance that 0.5% is that Kendrick Lamar that notices you and thinks you do good work and invites you to collab.

EDIT: oh, one last thing, and it's a big one: "SAY YES." A LOT. Taking all the opportunities that come your way (until you can have the luxury of being discerning and saying "no") is how you make it happen.

Amy recommends the following next steps:

• Learn to make music, make it as polished as you can, make your signature sound
  • Publish your work like nothing else
  • Network, network, network
  • Step 3 again
  • Step 3 (again)