2
Updated 501 views

What are the best steps to take to become a Ob-Gyn/Obstetrician Doctor?

I just want to know which path and steps to take, since I am only a soon to be college student and trying to go into the Medical Field. #medical-field #obstetrician #obgyn #medicine #healthcare #hospital-and-health-care

Thank you comment icon Hi Jasmine! I think part of your question was answered here: https://www.careervillage.org/questions/21459/how-many-years-does-it-take-to-become-an-obgyn Abby Lupi, Admin

2

0

In the US, to apply to medical school, you need a bachelor's degree. Any 4-year university should suffice.
Pick a major that interests you so you don't mind devoting a majority of your hours to studying. You will need to get good grades in college in order to apply for medical school. At the medical school I attended, the average GPA is reported to be 3.85, so even one or two B's can hurt your chances of acceptance.
Aside from this, any major is acceptable as long as you complete the prerequisite courses. I chose to major in biochemistry because there was overlap with the premed requirements and I wanted to complete my degree in 3 years.
Typical medical school prerequisites include:
Biology: Lecture – 4 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
General Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Organic Chemistry: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Biochemistry: Lecture – 1 semester
General Physics: Lecture – 2 semesters; Lab – 1 semester
Math: Statistics – 1 semester
English: Rhetoric (Composition) and Literature – 2 semesters
Try to find opportunities to pursue research.
Volunteer at your local hospital or low-income clinic. Ask physicians, PAs or other clinical providers if you can shadow them.
During college study for and complete the MCAT. Devote an entire summer to studying for the MCAT and consider paying for a prep course if you can afford it.
My son used MCAT Complete 7-Book Subject Review 2019-2020: Online + Book + 3 Practice Tests (Kaplan Test Prep) Kaplan Test Prep
It was about $140 and he achieved his goal score.
Apply to medical schools during your last year of college.
Medical school takes 4 years to complete.
After medical school an OB / Gyn will complete a 4-year residency for additional training.
0
0

Estelle’s Answer

Here are the steps to becoming an OB-GYN:
-college degree including the pre-med requirements and MCAT
-4 years of medical school and STEP exams
-4 years of residency
-subspecialty fellowships are available after residency, but they are not required
-To become board certified, the physicians must pass their board exams

0
0

Be a medical assistant in an OB Gyn Office! Ask that doctor to let you watch him/her deliver babies. You’ll be a pro, before you even apply to medical school. And you’ll have a letter of recommendation from your boss. How do you think that will look to an admissions board?

Start studying OB Gyn books, right now!

David recommends the following next steps:

I’m not sure what city you live in, but start looking to apply to medical assistant schools, or nursing schools.
Subscribe to OB Gyn magazines!
0