Has anyone combined a dual major in Music and Psychology and what kinds of work are there that use both degrees?

My name is Aiden. I am 17 years old and I live on the Southern Oregon Coast in a little town with about 1000 people.
I am going to George Fox University in Fall 2018. I love both music and psychology and I would like to find a career that combines and uses both of them.
I am having some concerns about attempting a double major as well as some questions about whether or not it would really be worth it and what I can do with both of them after I graduate from college.
#psychology #music #college #college-major #double-major #academic-advising

4

Linda Ann’s Answer

Hi Aiden,

Not sure if you are speaking of Music Performance as a major...at the masters level, there are Music Therapists. They treat emotional disorders in children and adults using psychological principles and music. Usually, the therapist needs to be proficient on more than one instrument. So, I suggest that you do a search on "music therapy," identify programs at the graduate level that offer such degrees and explore their respective websites.

I wish you the best in your studies! Good luck.

0

Linda’s Answer

Yes, Aiden, Music Therapy is a great possibility. While you could double major, you could also major in Music and minor in Psychology. I am biased, because of my background. if you minored in Psychology, you could also take some Sociology courses that could be extremely helpful to you in better understanding group dynamics, which could be an aspect of Music Therapy.

0

Estelle’s Answer

I agree. Music therapist is the career that melds both the best. I think it is very possible to double major in these two fields.

0