What are acceptable undergraduate majors to become a doctor?

Updated Dillon, South Carolina

I have hopes of studying biology in college but do not know if it there is a better major to select seeing as how I want to become a doctor. #majors #medicine #biology #healthcare #hospital-and-health-care #medical-school #academic-advising

Linda C.’s Answer

My daughter is graduating next weekend with a degree in Biomedical Sciences. She’s been accepted into medical school for the fall. There are many majors you can pursue and get into medical school. Med schools look for a core group of science courses and high MCAT scores, not for a specific major. I know of people who majored in music — and excelled in the required science courses and the MCAT — who were accepted into medical school and are now doctors. You don’t have to have a degree in biology or chemistry, but there are so many required science courses to take that it makes meeting the requirements easier if you major in a related field.