How much will my ACT effect my chances for success?

I have been studying a lot for the ACT and I have been improving, but I am not a great standardized test-taker and the reading section is what hurts me the most. Will having a score in the lower thirties negatively impact my chance for success?

#act #exam #standardized-testing #entrance-exams #studying #test-prep #studying-tips

4

Danielle’s Answer

So I personally relate to your question because I also struggled with standardized testing before getting into college. In short, the answer is no, having a lower score in one section of the test will not impact your chances for success. College committees look at more than just scores when they see a student's potential for success in their institution. Aside from having lower than average standardized testing scores, I was still able to get into my first choice university thanks to an impressive resume of community involvement, leadership positions in my school's student council, work experience, and a compelling application letter. The important thing is to set yourself apart from other college applicants, and this can be done in any number of ways. You can even reach out via email to a prospective, respected professor or administrator of the school you wish to attend so that you can show your deep interest and dedication to the institution you wish to become a student of. One thing test scores can definitely get you are more opportunities for financial aid, but scholarships can also be earned in other ways. Simply do your best, and don't stress too much about standardized tests.

1

Zeenat’s Answer

Dear Sohaib, ACT is only one of at least 20+ criteria college admissions staff would look at during the admissions project. Nowadays, colleges are taking more of an holistic approach for student selection. They don't want to see perfect scores and nothing else of interest on an application. Low 30s on ACT is actually a pretty good score. Don't beat yourself up! Along with a strong GPA, extra curricular activities, a well thought out and well written essay and great recommendations will better your chances.

With COVID-19 pandemic going on, a lot of colleges are wavering their SAT/ACT requirements. It probably will be in place for next couple of years. I'd still encourage you to prepare and to take the test, so you can include it in your application. I don't see what year you are in. If you have the option available, take ACT at least two times. Most colleges will let you "super score" it, meaning you send the best score from each section to colleges, regardless of which test it was.

I have a son who is a high school junior, so we are on the same boat. Good luck with all your endeavors!

0

Ai’s Answer

Short answer: Not much. The ACT exam is definitely not a measure of how successfully you are going to be. Standardized tests are tools for college admissions to measure a student's ability on one scale. It definitely does not measure your ability to become successful.

0

Theodore’s Answer

Yes, it will affect your chances but not as much as you think. Colleges look at a bunch of different parts of your transcript and the ACT is only part of it. Additionally, as long as you're not looking at an Ivy league, having a score in the thirties is fantastic. If you can get your score up, thats great, but don't stress it too much, you're in a great place as is.

0

Ai’s Answer

0