What do video game companies look for when hiring their programmers? Is a bachelor's in computer science good enough?

2

So I want to program video games for a career and I'm already majoring in computer science and trying to learn a little about video game programming through Unity but I'm worried that there'll be a lot of extra hoops I have to jump through before I look hire-able. So I want to know what not just what I can do to stand out in the hiring process but also what video game companies expect to be common knowledge when hiring their programmers. Thanks!

#programming #computer-programming #video-games #video-game-programming #computer-science #interviews

2

Adrian’s Answer

0

Hi Christy, From the programming side, it really depends on what type of video games you want to develop, like for iOS, Swift, Cocoa, Objective C are a must, but in other areas you want to definitely have a good grasp on object oriented languages , including Unity, and be able to translate that knowledge into the ability to learn quickly and on the fly. Look at EA's game dev listings to get an idea, as well as Blizzard and Riot gaming.

0

Christy’s Answer

0

Hi, Christa, I hope a programmer will add answers to this. I come from the game design and narrative design side, but one thing I can recommend is to go the job listings on gamasutra.com and look at lots and lots of job listings for programmers. By looking at their requirements, you'll begin to get a sense of what companies want.

Being expert in Unity is also a big plus.

0