Should I be worried about moving out of my home state?

Asked San Mateo, California

I plan on moving out of California for college to go up to either Seattle or Portland. I'm also expecting to stay in the area after college instead of returning home. I'm not sure how common this is or even if it would benefit me economically. Something that really worries me is that I won't like the area once I move there. #outofstate #college-bound #seattle #portland #california

Kacey’s Answer

Updated Seattle, Washington

Hello Sabrina,

I am a Seattle native, and even though I went to college here in my home-state and don't have any personal experience going to school out-of-state, I want to let you know that I do know many people who have moved here to Seattle (and Portland), and had a great time here in the upper part of the Northwest. I cannot speak for each school individually, but I can tell you that there is a lot of support for whatever you may need here up in the Seattle Area.

I can understand how nervous it must make you to move out on your own and to be away from family. When I was younger, I moved to Nashville, Tennessee and Miami, Florida -- both places where I really had no friends or family. But after time I was able to make some on my own and navigate my new homes freely and confidently. I did miss Seattle a lot, but with modern times it was easy for me to keep in with people "back home" via social media and phone calls/texts.

One thing I would suggest is taking some time to visit both Portland and Seattle before you come up here, if you are worried that you might not like the area. Take time to explore the major cities and those surrounding (for Washington, I would recommend Redmond, Kirkland, Bellevue - Eastside / North Seattle - Northgate and University District). Both locations have great Public transportation, I suggest you try them as they are a common way to save money and commute around here.

Here in Washington, you can get an Orca Card (usable on the light rail train, busses, and ferries)

https://orcacard.com/ERG-Seattle/p1_001.do

If you can take a friend or family member with you. Stay in an AIRBNB and sign up for tours at colleges in the studies that you are looking to complete.

Let me know if you need anymore help, and good luck to you!

Kacey recommends the following next steps:

• Research Colleges in the PNW that you are interested in
  • Research Housing for College students near those colleges (both on campus / off)
  • Join a Facebook Neighborly Group / College Group for the area / school you are looking at to ask for experiences from locals
  • Plan a trip to Seattle and/or Portland - Try something new, try the public transportation, mingle with the locals!

Jillian’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

I went to college out of state and then moved to take a job in a different state from where I grew up and went to college. Even if a lot of your immediate peers are staying local, once you leave, you'll find that it's very common for people to move away from where they grew up. Even if you don't end up liking Portland/Seattle, you can always move back home or even elsewhere. Moving to a new place is definitely challenging, but it will force you to grow up quickly and learn more about yourself. Personal development is always a good thing. You may find that you really love Portland/Seattle (I know I do!). You'll never know until you try!

I live in Beaverton, Oregon, and I love living here. It is not too far from Portland, and I've been to Portland many times. I'm sure you would love to live in Portland, and Seattle is great too.