What are the average requirements for a thesis or dissertation?

I am an avid writer, and I don't think a thesis or dissertation will be too difficult for me. However, this is a high school student speaking, so I can't really be sure. I'd like to know ( on average) what the requirements are in the forensic pathology field, so I can get used to writing with them. Thank you!
#doctorate-degree #masters #writing #thesis #dissertation #highschool #forensics #medical-education

2

Ann’s Answer

Hi Harley,

I am glad that you enjoy writing! That will be a huge part a dissertation. I've worked with hundreds of students writing dissertations, so I hope I can help. The biggest difference between a thesis or dissertation and the sort of writing you are used to is that these will be research intensive. When writing a dissertation, you will pick a topic in which you are discovering knowledge that someone hasn't done before. You will have to do what we call secondary research and find out what studies have already been conducted on the topic first. Then you will determine what research questions you want to answer. For example, "Are the characteristics that all serial killers share?" Once you know what questions you want to answer you will determine what type of testing you want to do. An example would be surveying serial killers and then running statistics tests on these. (Don't worry. You will take plenty of courses that will teach how to do it.) From there you will explain what you learned from the study. In the end you will defend your findings in a presentation to faculty to consider your findings significant.

I recommend searching for dissertations online to get an idea of what they are like. I know this is a lot, so feel free to reach out with more questions!

0

Serge V.’s Answer

Hi Harley,

What school is this for? Many of schools have different requirements for their thesis or dissertation. Click on the link below to see the requirements for Rowan University. Hope this helps you out.

https://rowanu.com/academic-resources/thesis-dissertation

Serge

0