Were there any times when you wanted to give up on your dreams?

5

I am asking this because someone's answer might prevent students like me from giving up on my dreams.

#college-advice #student-development #education #career

5

yoonji’s Answer

1

Hi Terri,

I think this is a question that most people, from all ages and walks of life, will think about at least once in their life. You will always be tested with challenges and temporary roadblocks; this is just a part of life. The most important thing is how you react to these challenges and rise above them.

When you feel like giving up on your dreams, take some time to reflect on why you are feeling this way, where is the source of this feeling? Is it a setback that you feel you can overcome? Are you afraid of your own greatness?

My suggestion is to not be afraid of your dreams or your passions! Go out there and pursue your passions and express them. Anything good is worth fighting for! You need grit to keep at your craft and constantly learn and improve. And sometimes, grit makes all the difference. Good luck, Terri!

yoonji recommends the following next steps:

• Find someone in your community who is currently living your dream. Ask them how they got there and how they overcame their challenges. (If you can't find anyone in-person, check out podcasts, interview or TED talks for inspiration!)
  • Talk to your support system (friends, family, teachers, mentors, pastors, etc.) and let them know that you need their encouragement and support in fighting for your dreams!
1

0
Yes, there were definitely times during my medical training that I felt like quitting. Working 80+ hours a week and trying to balance that with a family is difficult. It is worth the sacrifice, but still difficult.

Now, I have a much more predictable schedule and am better at balancing work and family. I am so glad that I stuck it out and now have a career that I am deeply committed to.
0

0
There were times in medical school when I felt like giving up. There seemed to be too much information and not enough time. I am glad that I stuck it out.

I take inspiration from the story of the failed Antarctic exploration by polar explorer Ernest Shackleton and his crew as told in the book “Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage.” Understanding their abity to overcome the incredible hardshps and survive teaches me that humans can accomplish anything
0

Peter’s Answer

0
Hi Terri - at some point in our lives we will all feel discouraged and perhaps hopeless and may contemplate giving up. Personally, if I feel discouraged, it is a good indicator that my "batteries" are running on empty and will need to re-charge. A short break from pursuing your dreams will, not only re-charge you, but also give you a better perspective on things. Slowing down or taking a pause for as long as needed is a great solution to doldrums that you might be facing. Hope this helps and I hope you continue pursuing your dreams. -Peter
0