How does a startup go from selling to independent boutiques to large retail stores?

Asked New Haven, Connecticut

I am in graduate school developing a health and environmentally conscious skin care line. Since I have reached out to different stores of how I can acquire shelf space, I feel that there is a gap in my knowledge between small and large retailers. I'm aware that I need to make bigger sales and gain more traction to land something like Sephora, but how? How can I get the word out and grow? #entrepreneurship #sustainability #skincare #beauty-industry #women-in-business #women-in-leadership #natural

Joice’s Answer

Hello. I think a important step in your business plan is the B2B marketing of your brand. You need to work hard with this relations, with small or big companies, in order to gain and fidelize your clients. Before this your company need to have values, mission and vision defined, cause this will project the image that the client have of your product. You need to take action to reach the big retailers, cause they won't knock at your door.

Joice recommends the following next steps:

• Design a business plan
  • Structure B2B marketing

Updated Tampa, Florida
Hi, I will share a story that was shared with me to help. Sarah Blakely started Spanx with 5K and built the company to a Billion dollar business. She landed her first National account through a cold call that landed her 10 minutes face to face with a buyer. She believed in her product and was able to pitch the difference and land the account. That was the easy part she spent a year going to stores and helping associates sell her product and pitched her product on QVC. Hope this helps, best of luck.

Updated Tampa, Florida

Hi, I will share a story that was shared with me to help. Sarah Blakely started Spanx with 5K and built the company to a Billion dollar business. She landed her first National account through a cold call that landed her 10 minutes face to face with a buyer. She believed in her product and was able to pitch the difference and land the account. That was the easy part she spent a year going to stores and helping associates sell her product and pitched her product on QVC.Hope this helps, best of luck.

David recommends the following next steps:

• Determine a target audience and practice cold calling and developing a great elevator speech.
Thanks so much for this!! Really appreciate your time.