Assist with Recognizing and Developing Potential
You are asking about a very interesting and diverse area. Based upon my years in Human Resources and College Recruiting, it is best to start by getting to know yourself a little better and then get to know the areas of engineering to determine which might be best suited for you. Here are some important steps to follow. I have encountered too many graduates who skipped these steps and ended up in a job/career area for which they were not well suited.
This professional recommends the following next steps:
- The best place to start is to take an interest and aptitude test to determine which area of engineering your personality traits are most well suited and have it interpreted by a trained counselor.
- Once you have the results, talk to the person at your school who works with and tracks graduates to arrange to talk to, meet, visit, and shadow graduates of your school who are doing something that looks interesting to you based upon the test results. Here are some tips on getting helpful information: ## http://www.wikihow.com/Network ## ## https://www.themuse.com/advice/nonawkward-ways-to-start-and-end-networking-conversations ## ## https://www.themuse.com/advice/4-questions-to-ask-your-network-besides-can-you-get-me-a-job?ref=carousel-slide-1 ##
- Locate professional associations in your area to which professionals in your career area of interest belong, so that you can talk to and get to know people who are doing things that look interesting to you. These associations are very welcoming to students and often have internship and shadowing opportunities and scholarships for students like you. Here are some tips that will help: ## https://www.careeronestop.org/BusinessCenter/Toolkit/find-professional-associations.aspx?&frd=true ## ## https://www.themuse.com/advice/9-tips-for-navigating-your-first-networking-event ##
- Here are some sites that will provide very helpful information about various areas of engineering: ## https://www.engineergirl.org/ ## ## http://www.futureengineers.org/ ## ## https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43zVcmTJSKM http://stemtosteam.org/ ##
- Remember that it is very important to thank those who have helped you along the way. The most effective way is by a phone call, so you can carry on a dialogue and find out other people people with whom you can also talk to find more information. Here are some tips, but remember the most effective way is by phone or more importantly in person. when possible. ## https://www.themuse.com/advice/the-informational-interview-thank-you-note-smart-people-know-to-send?ref=recently-publishePress enter to add d-2 ##