Skip to main content
2 answers
4
Asked 397 views

How do I balance a Marketing degree at a four-year university while also pursuing a tattoo apprenticeship and assisting at a salon I am worried about the cost of student housing in Sacramento and want to know how professionals managed high intensity side hustles during college.?

I’m a first-gen student and licensed cosmetologist transferring to Sacramento State. My mission is to open my own beauty or tattoo studio, and I’m using my Marketing degree to build that dream.

I’m nervous about balancing full-time classes and housing costs with a hands-on apprenticeship or salon job. How do I stay financially stable without burning out? I want to make myself proud and bridge the gap between business school and my creative passions.


4

2 answers


1
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Karin’s Answer

Hi Kathy,

It's smart that you are already building your own business while you are still at university and developing the creative skills as well as the business background. I guess the balance would depend on how many hours you need to spend at the tattoo apprenticeship and at the salon and how many hours you need to spend on university work. Also, what is your schedule and how flexible are your hours? Can either one (or both) be parttime?

You could start with a full course load and add to it gradually. See how it goes. Or you could pursue your studies parttime so you have time to earn money and work on your tattoo skills.

I hope this helps! All the best to you!

KP
Thank you comment icon Thanks, can't wait to put this advice into action! kathy
Thank you comment icon You are very welcome! Karin P.
1
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Deborah’s Answer

Kathy, managing everything in college can be tough, but you can do it! I remember juggling a work-study job, a full course load, and extracurriculars like clubs and career fairs. It was challenging, but possible.

Focus on what's most important to you. Maybe your top priorities are: 1) Earning enough to cover living expenses, whether through work or loans. 2) Finishing your degree in four years. 3) Saying yes to opportunities once those needs are met.

Think about whether you need both the tattoo apprenticeship and the salon job right now. Can you do one during breaks or summers? Are there semesters when you'll need to cut back on commitments?

You'll be amazed at what you can achieve when you're motivated. College has its busy times and breaks, which can help you manage everything in the long run.

Good luck with your journey! You've got this!
0