Skip to main content
29 answers
35
Updated 1491 views

Would you work a job you don't enjoy, but pays well financially? Or work a job where you enjoy, but it doesn't pay enough for you to live comfortably?

I'm a junior in high school in the state of Maryland, and I don't have a set path for my future yet. I do have an interest in technology, but I don't know what niche in IT would fit for me. But I debate with myself, whether to force myself to like a career that pays really well, but highly disliked, or to work a job where I like the work I do, but it doesn't pay enough for me to live comfortably. For the moment, let's define "comfortable" as being able to pay your car, house, food, bills, and other necessities without being stressed about them, and having money left over for yourself. And treating yourself to a vacation every once in a while. I should add, living in the United States with inflation is ABSOLUTELY CRAZY.

So the main question here is: If you were a teenager who doesn't have any trajectory on your career, would you lean towards working a job that you don't enjoy but allows you to live comfortably, or work a job that you have an interest in and enjoy, but it doesn't allow you to live your dream life?

Edit: Thank you guys for your responses. I'm actively reading each comment. Your support helps a lot.

Thank you comment icon When you enjoy your job, success will follow because you'll feel motivated. College can help you figure out what you love. Dr. Jack Saxonhouse
Thank you comment icon If forced to choose, most career advisors suggest leaning toward comfort first, then transitioning. Constant financial survival stress kills the joy of any "dream job."However, your interest in technology means you do not have to make this sacrifice. IT is unique because it blends massive financial stability with diverse daily work. You can find high-paying tech niches that balance both:Cybersecurity: High pay, high demand, feels like solving puzzles. Cloud Computing: Great lifestyle balance and excellent salary.IT Project Management: For tech-minded people who prefer organizing over heavy coding.Explore Clarence

35

29 answers


2
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Jeff’s Answer

Hi Liam,

Very interesting question! And, the answer, in large part, is about who you are and what's important to you.

In my career, I walked away from some great jobs because they were toxic. I spent a lot of time in academia because I loved teaching, mentoring and helping my students. The pay was lousy but I loved it. I literally took a 75% pay cut to start teaching in a university.

It's completely about what's important to you. But know that you can always change careers to something you love, especially after you're in good shape financially! Also, career changes are not uncommon!

Best of luck!
2
1
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Sarah’s Answer

I would not presume that you have to choose at all! I’ve worked jobs that were hard to endure, either the work was boring, the people/ social aspects were terrible, or the pay wasn’t great. These jobs are a bridge to other opportunities, I would suggest working in a few different types of environments, even if you volunteer for a few days. You may discover that you enjoy and are good at more than you think. You can steer toward a variety field and make small tweaks to find your ideal job. I thought I was going to be an artist, but my current job involves a lot of writing and project management. It turns out I am good at it and work with people I like. I can still make art, but also I can pay my bills, have a steady income, insurance; one day I can retire!
1
1
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Anna’s Answer

This is a very good question, and I think it shows a lot of maturity coming from a high school student. Even though you may not have a specific career path in mind yet, you’re already thinking about the bigger picture.

If I had to choose between the two options you described, especially when I was younger, I would probably start with a career that I might enjoy a little less but that would allow me to become financially independent and build a strong foundation for my future.

That doesn’t mean I would choose something I absolutely hated just for the money. There is a big difference between a job you don’t love and a job that makes you miserable. But I do think financial stability can give you something very valuable, and this is flexibility and options.

Once you can support yourself, save money, and develop useful skills and experience, you may have more freedom to explore what you really enjoy. You can take some risks, change directions, continue your education or start something of your own. What I mean is that your first career choice doesn’t have to be your final destination. It can give you the tools to build toward what you really want. Hope that helps!
1
1
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Jacques’s Answer

You are framing your future as a forced choice between two kinds of misery, either suffering through a high-paying job you dislike or stressing over bills in a passion project that leaves you struggling. Money is merely a tool for physical comfort and convenience, while your work is how you spend the vitality of your life. If you spend forty hours every week doing something you despise just for a paycheck, you are trading your life's precious vitality for paper. At the same time, if you pursue something you enjoy but cannot cover your basic needs in a world with rising costs, financial insecurity will poison your joy. As a young person, you do not need to trap yourself in this false binary. Instead, bring absolute involvement to developing your competence, especially in fields like technology that interest you. When you cultivate deep skill, capability, and focus, you do not have to choose between financial survival and fulfillment; competence naturally commands both financial value and the freedom to create a meaningful life.
1
1
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Jacob’s Answer

This can be a complicated question since the answer is always going to be very personal, so I am just going to give you my—often unpopular—opinion.

It is better to work a job you dislike (not hate—life is short, don't do that to yourself) and be financially comfortable, than to work a job you love but constantly struggle to afford a life outside of work. If you can do the job well and provide for your family, you should go home satisfied.

The great thing right now is that you have the time and opportunity to find what works for you. On the other side of that coin (and sorry to be a downer), you will be entering the job market at a time of massive change across almost all industries. No one really knows what things will look like in five years.

If I had to make a specific recommendation, I'd suggest looking into "less glamorous" fields that require you to be physically present. Electricians, plumbers, and welders or fabricators are always in high demand and are very well paid. There's no college degree needed, no student debt, and you start getting paid very quickly once you begin training.
1
1
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Quinn’s Answer

Hey Liam!

This is a complicated question, as the answer depends heavily on the person and their experiences. Many people have financial anxiety, especially in recent years. This can cause many to prioritize their financial status and finding passion in non-work related ways. I myself have recently made this move. Just because you are not working in a field you have an absolute passion for does not mean you cannot find enjoyment.

I moved from a high-stress, medium-pay, and high-passion field (social work) to a customer service position that pays well and keeps my stress at a normal level. It is really nice to know that I can just walk away from a work day and not have the events of the day pressing on my emotions in the long term. I thought that I would be very unfulfilled and want to go back to social work within 6 months. However, over a year later, I have found that being in a more stable position that I am not passionate about has allowed me to pursue other passions outside of work.

This really comes down to who you are. Are you someone who feels like personal achievement in work is the most fulfilling thing to you? Or are you someone who might like other hobbies or activities (crafting, volunteering, music, movies, whatever you want!)? Or are you somewhere in the middle?

This can even change over time. At 18, I couldn't imagine myself doing anything but social work all day every day. Now at 25, I know that the passionate work life made it hard for me to have an equally personal life. Things change. You might have one opinion now and a different one in ten years. That's the exciting part about life. You just need to do what you enjoy in some capacity, not just in work.

Quinn recommends the following next steps:

I would suggest speaking with your loved ones and trusted adults in your life whose opinions are meaningful to you. Ask them what they think you get enjoyment out of if you need help. Ask them how they feel fulfilled. You might learn more than you think.
1
1
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Rita’s Answer

I think you should do what you love. Life is short and to dread going to work every day is painful. We spend at least a 1/3 of our life working. Can you imagine spending 1/3 of your life doing what you don't enjoy? It's not worth it.
1
1
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Michael’s Answer

The simplest answer is: "Do what you love, the money will follow!" There is a book that has this for a title, reasonably short read that you may enjoy.

Good luck,
Thank you comment icon I love this answer. It is so true. I have held so many different jobs and the ones that I was most successful at were those that I truely enjoyed. I graduated with a Criminal Justice Degree and speant my life in different technology roles, none that were related to my degree. Take your time, explore different options. If you see something that intrests you find someone in the field and ask them about what they do. I hope to see you leveraging CareerVillage more in your search for finding the job of your dreams. Good luck in finding your path! Kirk S. Borchert
1
1
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Ashley’s Answer

This is the proverbial question to life we all ask and keep asking over our lifetime. I worked really really hard in corporate dentistry and it provided some amazing vacations, home, and cars and way of life. Then I was burning out. Then I was burnt out. After 20 years of being a dentist I no longer have an apeptite for the people drama, insurance issues, and decreasing pay. If you are going to work a hard job that makes alot do so while you are young. I enjoyed it about 60% most days. Some days 100% when I made a real difference. So I am now moving on to make a difference a different way, but using my skills that made me a great doctor.....caring about others. Something the greed of corporate dentistry took from me. But now I can apply it to something else. It is common to change a career. So I guess know you aren't stuck in one career. And sometimes it is ok to do a career that pays well, but may not be fun all the time. And have fun hobbies. Then at some point when you are able switch to do what you really enjoy. I like farming and creating for social media. So I grow hay now and do some fun things for dentistry for teledental.com on facebook. Whatever you do, try to enjoy the journey for it will go fast. And make a difference in this world!
1
1
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Sahida’s Answer

Your question shows great insight, and it's something many people your age are thinking about. You don't have to decide between money and enjoyment right now.

When I was in college, I loved coding and had many chances to work in that field. But as time went on, my interests changed. Now, I enjoy the business side of technology more, seeing how my work makes a difference and solves real problems.

One of the best feelings is when someone tells me, "Your solution really helped me." That impact is more satisfying than just writing code.

I believe it's important to focus on what you enjoy and the value you can bring to others, whether it's for people, businesses, or society. As you gain experience, you might find that combining purpose, impact, and financial stability leads to true happiness.

Instead of choosing between money or passion, aim for a career that offers enough money, meaningful work, sustainable growth, and a positive impact.
1
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Gemechis’s Answer

Hi Liam, that is a great question I had this same question when I was in high school I knew I wanted to get into tech but I wasn't sure what to focus on. College was a really great place for me to get exposure into tech taking coding, data visualization, and data science classes added with business classes it ultimately brought me to business analytics and data science. Learning about these topics is difficult and there moments where I doubted myself and wondered if this field was really for me some of the concepts especially with data science were difficult, I spent countless hours in the library and teacher's office hours getting ready for exams but fast forward to today with experience it is an exciting field and it brings new challenges all the time which I like because it makes work interesting no one day is similar to a previous it's always something new.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Tim’s Answer

Hi Liam,

Thanks for your question! It really depends on what you want from the job. If you just need money for something specific like a trip or a car, you might be okay with a job you don't love. But if you want to learn a new skill or trade, money shouldn't be your main focus. When I was in college, I took summer jobs just to earn money, even though they weren't related to my degree.

I hope this helps!

Tim recommends the following next steps:

Consider making a list of jobs that you have zero interest in beyond a 2-3 month stint
Make a list of jobs that you can see yourself enjoying for a longer period of time. Potentially, multiple years
Research what a career path might look for the jobs you could see yourself enjoying long-term
Prioritize the top 5 or 10 (combine the lists) and start looking for opportunities in your area when you're ready
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Rebecca’s Answer

Thank you for your question. Your hypothesis is very extreme scenario. Also, imagine you work in a career that you dislike 8-10 hours a day and 5 days a week. It is really a pain and you would not perform well. On the other hand, if the career you have interest, you can perform well and progress your career path easily.
Below are my suggestions :
1. Think about what you have interest, e.g. your hobbies, favorite subjects, etc. and identify the related careers. Given you have interest technology, there are many Tech careers, e.g. Web Developer, Apps Developer, Cybersecurity, Database Administrator, ERP Developer, Application Support, etc. You can find out more online
2. Find out more on these careers and determine what you have interest
3. Attend the information session hosts by Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etc. departments
4. Shortlist 1-2 careers you would like to pursue
5. Explore the entry criteria of relevant subjects in colleges
Hope this helps! Good Luck!
May Almighty God bless you!
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Ari’s Answer

Your experience of the world depends on your perspective. In any job, there will be things you like and dislike. Focus on finding happiness in your work while earning money. Even if you dislike some parts of a job, there are usually positives. Set personal boundaries and advocate for yourself. Life is about continuous improvement; everyone can learn and grow from mistakes. What seems dull now might become interesting with more experience. If not, you'll know better what you like and dislike for your next job. Remember, your choices aren't set in stone. You can change and grow throughout your life.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Kim’s Answer

That's a fantastic question! Even after 20 years in the workforce, I still think about this. My advice is to follow your heart. Doing what you love can lead to financial success if you bring creativity and determination. Earning and saving money is important, and you should focus on it. By learning how to invest and save, you'll be on the right path. You don't need a huge salary to build wealth. With smart investing, you'll have more opportunities to pursue your passions.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Tayyaba’s Answer

Hi Liam,

If I were in your position, I would not choose a career based only on money or only on enjoyment. I would look for something that I **enjoy enough to keep doing and that can provide a comfortable living**.

Since you are still in high school, you don't need to decide your exact career yet. Explore different areas of technology, such as software development, cybersecurity, data, IT support, or project management, and see what interests you.

A high-paying job that makes you miserable can eventually lead to burnout, while a job you love but cannot financially support yourself with can also create stress. The best goal is to find a balance between **interest, financial stability, and work-life balance**.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Kim’s Answer

Liam,

I would encourage you to take a look at budgets and money management, and distinguishing between wants and needs. Having extra money for enjoying life sometimes comes down to making small sacrifices on other things. For example, the difference in price tags on "dependable transportation" vs. a sports car. The same for housing. Also learn about insurance to protect what you have - especially disability insurance in case you get sick or in an accident. And about investing.

Something else to consider. A movement known as FIRE - Financial Independence/Retire Early. Google it.

There are also jobs located on the spectrum between the two choices you've identified: Jobs that pay pretty well that you can tolerate doing, but aren't super-excited about.

Being an older person, I will say that, due to health declining much sooner than it should have, I wish I had done more to enjoy life as a younger person, rather than thinking that such enjoyment would come in retirement. So, in that regard, your concerns are very valid. Enjoy today, for tomorrow is not promised.

I wish you the best of luck!

Kim
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Fisayo’s Answer

This is an interesting question. It depends on what motivates you- some people are driven by money and others are driven by the fulfillment they get from their daily job.

It also isn't static and can differ depending on the season you're in. Some people work jobs they hate for years just so they can support their real goal of working a job they love for less pay.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

abdullakeem’s Answer

Dont force yourself into career you are already know you'll hate just because it's paying well.but also Don't choose carrier purely because you enjoy it if you already know it not provide lifestyle you need
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Basak’s Answer

I would begin with a job that covers my expenses. After a few years, once I discover what I truly enjoy, I could save some money and then switch to a career I love.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Gwen’s Answer

This is a question people often discuss. I once had a job that paid well but didn't make me happy. I stayed there until I found a job I enjoyed more. While in that job, I took extra training courses to help me earn more in the future. You need to figure out what works best for you. If your job doesn't pay well, try to keep your expenses low. Networking on LinkedIn or going to events can be very helpful. It can lead you to new opportunities you might not know about.

Gwen recommends the following next steps:

Join LinkedIn
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Ankita’s Answer

The best choice really depends on where you are with your finances, responsibilities, and future plans. There's no one-size-fits-all answer.

If you're in a place where money is crucial—like paying bills, supporting family, paying off debt, saving up, or working towards financial goals—it might make sense to go for the job that pays more, even if it's not your dream job.

But that doesn’t mean you have to give up on doing something you love. You can think of the higher-paying job as a stepping stone. Set a financial goal and work on gaining skills, experience, or connections that will help you move toward a job you enjoy later.

Ask yourself: "How much financial security do I need before I can make a change comfortably?" Having a clear goal can stop you from staying in a job you dislike for too long.

Also, think about what the job costs you beyond money. If a high-paying job is hurting your health, relationships, or happiness, the extra money might not be worth it.

Sometimes, it's not about choosing between money and passion, but about finding a way to go from being financially stable to preparing for and then transitioning into work that feels meaningful.

Remember, your priorities can shift as your life changes, and your career choices can change with them.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Sachin’s Answer

Hi Liam,

Those are very difficult choices to decide on, but I don't necessarily think that you have to place yourself in this binary conundrum in order to achieve your stated future potential goal of a career in IT. Either of the two choices would most likely cause you a lot of stress and anxiety, being more of a hindrance than a help for your future prospects. High pay is great, but would you really be willing to sacrifice your joy in a job that you don't like? In the same vein, would you like to work at something you really enjoy, but not be able to have some bit of financial stability, for instance, having your mental peace on edge when having to pay for food, living expenses, utilities, etc., because you can't afford it due to insufficient work income and funds?

A few of my tips and suggestions you could consider, as next steps for a successful career, would be as follows.

Sachin recommends the following next steps:

Consider and identify what interests you in the tech sector or other related areas.
Know your skills, strengths, and weaknesses and consider their effects on your goal and future career.
Expand upon your skills, maintain your strengths, and improve and turn your weaknesses into new strengths.
Involve yourself in classes, projects, extracurricular activities, and community events related to your career interest(s).
Strategize ways to balance study, work, rest, and play. Chances are that this will help to reduce stress and anxiety in your life as you work towards your goal.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Swapnajeet’s Answer

Hey Liam,
This is a feeling you never fully get rid of. I'd argue it means you have a growth mindset — that restlessness sticking around is a good sign, not a red flag.

Right now, focus on exploring: try coding, small projects, internships, different IT niches (cybersecurity, designer, software dev, data, IT support — all different vibes). Tech is one of the few fields where "well-paid" and "enjoyable" overlap more than people assume — you just haven't found your niche yet.

Worrying about pay-vs-passion before you've tried anything is solving a problem you don't have. Explore first — the tradeoff only matters once you've got real options in front of you.

But here's a principle to keep in your back pocket for when you do face this tradeoff: if you ever end up taking a job mainly for the money, treat it as a phase, not forever. Use the income to build a runway, and while you're there, grab skills, network, or credibility that transfer toward what you'd actually rather do — that turns "tolerating it" into "investing in the next move." Set a rough timeline to reassess.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

TRAVIS’s Answer

Its all about your attitude and being able to find joy in learning new things and challenging yourself. You can find a good career and at the same time have a viable backup plan. For example, you are 17, take as many dual credit and AP courses now and CLEP tests out of as many college credits as you can to make getting a bachelors degree quickly and affordably. Consider joining a branch of the military, (there are many to choose from) while in college. Your education and housing is paid for and then switch to the reserves once your initial term is completed. A civil servant (police officer, fire fighter) usually earns a pension after 20 yrs and in some cases you can double your retirement time if you also volunteer as a firefighter. Every state is different. You may also consider a job in the federal government during your military service since the reserves would allow for that. What I am getting at is this. After 20yrs in the military and reserves, you can retire at 38yrs old. If during that time you also worked as a civil servant, you can retire from that too. If you work in a federal job, your military experience would also count towards retirement. So you could have two fully funded retirement plans at the age of 38yrs old. College paid for, and all the other benefits and honors of military services. Raise your hand if you want to be fully retired at age 38 and then have the rest of your life to do whatever you want. Union jobs also have solid retirement/pension plans too. Just a thought, those jobs are not going away anytime soon.
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Sarina’s Answer

This is a great question! It's something I thought about when I was your age. Going into college I had this mindset that I needed to make sure I studied something that would allow me to be 'comfortable', using a similar definition to yours. But everything has its pros and cons and comfort can change easily.
- Since then I've had friends who make 'a lot' of money but work endless hours and can't enjoy the money, others who don't make 'a lot' (perhaps enough to afford their lifestyle but not enough to afford 'luxury' purchases etc) but have a rich community and free time to pursue other interests. It's about what you value.

The easy answer is that you should choose a field where there's a lot of roles you can pivot to and learn from as you progress, and where the salary range is optimal for you. But there's no way to know where life will take you so the realistic answer is to keep your mind open to new opportunities and skills. Keep up with trends in the markets and what industries are out there. If you stay open, you'll find yourself in a good spot.

Good Luck!
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Mario’s Answer

Hi Liam, thank you so much for reaching out and sharing your thoughts with me-I really appreciate your honesty.

If I could offer one piece of advice from my own journey, it's this: look for a vocation, not just a job.

Of course, we all need to pay the bills, and there's nothing wrong with that as a starting point. But if your only objective is a paycheck, you might eventually find yourself feeling unfulfilled. Instead, take this time in high school to explore your natural strengths. Get involved in different projects, take on roles that feel new or challenging, and yes-please fail. Failure is just the best way to learn what you're good at, what you need to improve, and most importantly, what you truly love.

Treat these next few years as an 'ice-breaker' for your career. If you use this time to experiment, you'll be much better prepared for the 'real world,' and you'll be able to enjoy the journey.

I've been in my career for nearly 25 years now, and I can honestly say that for 90% of that time, it hasn't felt like 'work' at all-simply because I found something I'm passionate about. I hope you find that, too.

Cheers!
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Meybel’s Answer

Hi Liam, believe me, many of us have been in that position of not knowing exactly what to do with the future, so I completely understand your question.

Personally, I would choose a job that makes me happy, even if it doesn't pay the most at first. I think that when you truly enjoy what you do, you’re more motivated to learn, improve, and seek out opportunities for growth. You might even find ways to increase your income over time.

One recommendation before you choose: try to figure out what you’re good at and what you enjoy doing. Talk to professionals, take a psychological assessment to identify your skills, and try out different areas of technology. Sometimes, discovering what you *don't* like is also part of finding your path.

And remember: your first career doesn't have to be your career for life. 🙂
0
0
Updated
Share a link to this answer
Share a link to this answer

Tracy’s Answer

I would say there needs to be a balance between both. If you choose a job only because it pays well but you don’t enjoy what you do, you can eventually become mentally and emotionally drained. At the same time, financial stability is important, and it can be difficult to truly enjoy a job if you’re constantly worried about making ends meet.

If you do something you genuinely enjoy and become really good at it, you can become a valuable asset, which can eventually lead to better opportunities and financial stability.

I also think it’s important to keep learning and stay open-minded. Sometimes, even in a job you don’t necessarily enjoy, there may be one aspect that you actually like. Finding that part and developing it can help you discover new opportunities and even change the direction of your career.

Ultimately, I think the goal is to find something that gives you both a sense of purpose and enough financial stability to live comfortably.
0