How can I decide on what I want to major in for sure?

4

I want to go into business.
I'm a people person.
I eventually want to build, rent and sell properties.
I would like to work with technology as well.
#business #business-management #college-major

4

Annette’s Answer

0

Hi Axel,

There are all kinds of self-assessment tools online that you can start with. Some of they may cost money, some are free. I found a good article on Monster.com that recommends some tests https://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/best-free-career-assessment-tools

Being a people-person goes a long way. Be inquisitive. When you meet adults, ask them what they do for work. If it's something you're interested in, ask them more--how did they get into the role? What education and characteristics did it take to get into the role?

Look for ways to volunteer in your community--it exposes you to all kinds of different people. If you want to eventually build, rent, and sell properties, find a local Habitat for Humanity or a similar non-profit organization that's making a difference in peoples' lives and volunteer there. When you do that, talk to the other volunteers--learn more about what they do professionally.

Importantly, stay focused in school and talk to your guidance counselor to get some additional input (they're there for you - be proactive and schedule a meeting.) If you're interested in technology, see if your school can schedule a visit to local tech businesses.

Keep learning and good luck!

Annette recommends the following next steps:

• Read this https://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/best-free-career-assessment-tools and take some assessments
  • Look for places to volunteer - and talk to people!
  • Talk to your guidance counselor
0

0
For majors and minors, experiment with which classes you take to get a feel for what is interesting to you. I also have some good news! Your college major doesn't determine the rest of your life, it is just a starting point. It may seem very stressful right now, but looking back on it, the major is less important than making sure you finish your degree. So choose classes that interest you and then get a major in that! One thing you can start doing now is talk to people in different jobs that sound interesting to you. If you don't know anyone in that job, create a LinkedIn profile and reach out to new people. It may seem a little scary at first, but most people are very willing to share their experience with you!

I focused on communication studies and business because I like public speaking and I enjoyed marketing and organizational development classes. I ended up getting my MBA later after I had some work experience. Now, I work in different kinds of jobs across my company, finding ways to improve the company. It's a lot to figure out and you don't have to know everything right now, just make a plan and then be willing to change the plan as you learn more about the career options that interest you.
0

Eric’s Answer

0

There are a few different majors that will best prepare you to work in real estate development and investment. First, I suggest you look into majoring in real estate. That will give you the most direct knowledge and exposure to the real estate industry. Keep in mind, however, that not every college has an undergraduate real estate program. The following link has a list of all US universities that do.

https://www.naiop.org/en/Career-Center/Getting-into-Commercial-Real-Estate/Universities-with-Real-Estate-Programs

If none of those universities are an option for you or if you want to major in something less specific, I suggest you consider a finance major. To be successful in real estate development it is imperative that you be able to analyze cash flows and create pro forma models in order to assess the strength of a potential deal. You also need to be able to prepare financial statements for the properties in your portfolio. Finance courses will teach you a lot of the skills necessary to do so.

If you are more interested in the construction process, you may want to look into majoring in civil engineering. Those courses will help you learn about the technical aspects and feasibility of constructing a project.

No matter which major you decide to go with, make sure you jump on every possible opportunity to network with real estate professionals in your area. When it comes to being successful in real estate, who you know is just as important as what you know!

Eric recommends the following next steps:

• Go to the websites of the colleges that you're interested in and look at the available courses in the real estate, finance, and civil engineering programs. Read the descriptions and make note of the classes that interest you the most. That may help you decide which major is best for you.
  • Network, network, network!
0

Veronica’s Answer

0

I suggest to that your should be a business major. For should also take some computer courses as well. I also suggest the you should go on read books about building, renting and selling properties.

Veronica recommends the following next steps:

• Go to your college's or university career service.
  • Do an assessment on yourself.
0