Can I major in accountancy and go to med school?

Asked Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

I chose accountancy because it's indemand but i know time will come, sooner or later my heart will find it's way to medicine because I really want to be a surgeon. Help me what to do if I graduate in bs accountancy and decided to go to med school after . Thank you for ur answer #premed #doctor #medicine #medical #healthcare #help #medschool #accountancy

Hsin’s Answer

Updated Burlingame, California

Hi Avyanna,

Yes, it is definitely possible. It will require more work though. You will need to look at the requirements for admission into medical school, which will usually be math, chemistry and biology classes. For example, see https://meded.hms.harvard.edu/admissions-prerequisite-courses for the Harvard Medical School class requirements. Since many of these science classes will not be required for your accountancy degree, you would be taking on classwork that would be in addition to the work required for your accountancy degree.

I took the opposite path you are looking at, where I started with an unrelated major but ended up doing accountancy as a career. I had to take additional courses to get into accountancy after I had finished the major, so getting into a new career field is possible as long as you build yourself a strong foundation.

Best of luck,

-H

Hsin recommends the following next steps:

• Look into admission requirements for a few medical schools.
  • See which classes for your major overlap with the admission requirements for medical school.
  • Keep up a good grades.