In general there are a few things that are important in your career:
- Learning - Learning and continuously growing in your career is important. You should always be in a learning mode that helps you grow
- Co-workers - You'll be spending more time with people you work than with your family. So you should enjoy working with your co-workers
- Mentor and mentee - As you continue to grow in your career it's important that you mentor others who are looking for help and always look for people who you would like to be mentored by
Gagan recommends the following next steps:
I see you are from El Paso. I had the opportunity to travel there on business about a year ago. I visited Swiss Post Solutions! I enjoyed my visit!
In regards to your question, what do I like best about my career? I enjoy working for a company that has strong core values.
It’s because of these values that I have worked at the company for 19 years.
People Count - I am afforded great benefits. In addition to your traditional benefits such as Medical, Dental and Vision, I am offered benefits such as Tuition Reimbursement which allows me to further my education; to learn and grow.
The Work From Home benefit has to be one of my favorite aspects of the job as it has allowed me to improve my work life balance. My company believes that good work happens everywhere. It’s because of this benefit that I am able to attend my son’s soccer games, or start dinner during my lunch break or throw in a load of laundry before work, etc. WFH also helps decrease my gas expenses as well as reduce the wear and tear on my vehicle. There are just too many benefits to mention!
Another treasured aspect of my job is opportunity! If you put yourself out there and are not afraid of the risk, the sky is the limit! I have had several different roles in the 19 years that I have worked at my company. It’s because of the opportunities that my job always feels new and fresh and I’m constantly being challenged and learning.
You hold the key to your success, Angelina. Take risks and be open to new opportunities. Your future awaits!!
The thing I enjoy most about my career is the quality of the people I'm privileged to work with. There are many positive things about being in technology (strong pay, interesting work, etc) but I value the interactions I have with others the most.
I am a Software Engineer(DevOps/Cloud). What I like about my job? Nearly everything.
- I get to talk to various stakeholders. I just enjoy it. The idea of talking to people from various background likes Sales, Marketing, Executives, Developers, Testers, Operations is very exciting to me. I get to learn so much.
- I like playing with Cloud technologies. And thats what I usually do.
- The issues I solve are related to Security, Performance, Reliability, Availability. They are hard and doesn't come in a day or two. It takes time. There is a lot of research involved into it. And I like that pain. Things failing for a certain time, And then the happiness of success is on the next level.
Please comment and let me know if you want to know more about it or need any further help.
What I like the most in my career so far are:
1) Growth. I've learned so much from the different jobs I've had and the challenges that come up. There are always learning moments, some are quick and painless, while others may take some time to get over, but either way, I get to learn and grow.
2) Great co-workers and friends. It's always nice to meet all kinds of people with different backgrounds, skills, personalities, and perspectives.
3) Ability to do stuff outside of work. Work-life balance is important, and being able to pursue my hobbies and passions outside of work is very important , and my career has allowed me to do that.
Hi! I'll sum up my experience so far as a software engineer in a few points.
- I get to work on a lot of different problems. Imagine having to do the same homework assignment everyday. That sounds boring! Software engineers get to work on DIFFERENT problems often so it's much less boring and it tends to be a fun challenge
- Learning opportunities. There are many things you can learn in the field of tech and so many ways to solve problems and build things. Learning is part of the job
- Autonomy. I get to do a lot of independent work but I also get to work with a team too
- Free Perks. A lot of tech companies generally have free snacks and drinks :)
Those are just some of the pros of my job. It sounds like lots of fun but don't get me wrong. It's a lot of work and can be stressful sometimes but I chose this career because it's something I fully enjoy doing, even when I'm not programming for work. I hope this helps a bit. Best of luck!
I try to make sure the companies I work for are engaging, fun, places I can learn and get promoted.
Engaging: I am absorbed in my work which involves helping my clients come up with creative solutions to business problems.
Innovation: For most of my career, I have worked in innovation, applying new technologies to developing solutions. This means that I had access to new technologies (at that time, Google Glasses, smartwatches, other wearables) to understand how people will use new technologies and apply it to their everyday lives.
Autonomy: I enjoy that I can work independently in order to complete my work.
Collaboration: I get to work with smart and talented people who are as committed as I am to helping our clients.
What I like most about my job is that I am doing something I am good at that also gives me a lot pleasure because I am providing something valuable. I am at the core an information researcher. I dig through reports, articles, studies finding data, opinions, insights that answer my business clients' questions. I am very resourceful finding sources of information, then I try to make sense out of all the information. I aggregate it, organize it, compare it, interpret it and think deeply about its implications. Finally I create a presentation for my client that makes an often complex topic easy to grasp. The ultimate reward is when my clients say my work has helped them to understand the topic in a new and deeper way.
I work at a software company in Silicon Valley and focus on how to price our products. Here are the things I like the most about my job:
1) People: I get to learn a lot from working with really intelligent people who have various backgrounds and experiences.
2) Creative Thinking: I do a lot of creative thinking in my role and focus on solving long term problems.
3) Autonomy: I have a significant amount of autonomy in my job and really get to own how I spend my time and what areas to focus on.
Divy recommends the following next steps:
I found a career that let me advance professionally while still learning new things every day - learning & development. Every organization wants to develop its people, and my professional credentials mean I have gobs of experience helping them do that quickly and effectively. If I'd stuck with one industry or with one type of training (I started in the hardware design industry building technical training), I would have been bored to death, but I've worked in hardware, software, internet, healthcare (delivery, insurance, pharmaceutical, medtech), and in technology and leadership consulting. So fun!
Ceil recommends the following next steps:
I love this question! I am an auditor and I went to school for accounting and finance. My favorite thing about my career is constantly meeting new people and learning more and each and every day. I started about a year ago and I cannot believe how much I have learned and how many people I have met in such a short time period. In my opinion, working with good people can make an enormous different in your career - I have great teammates in my career and I really appreciate it.
The thing that I like most about my career is that I work for a company that wants me to succeed and are actively involved in my development.