What do you like most about your career?

18

Gagan’s Answer

In general there are a few things that are important in your career:

• Learning - Learning and continuously growing in your career is important. You should always be in a learning mode that helps you grow
  • Co-workers - You'll be spending more time with people you work than with your family. So you should enjoy working with your co-workers
  • Mentor and mentee - As you continue to grow in your career it's important that you mentor others who are looking for help and always look for people who you would like to be mentored by

Gagan recommends the following next steps:

https://medium.com/the-year-of-the-looking-glass/how-to-think-about-your-career-abf5300eba08
https://www.brightnetwork.co.uk/no-idea-what-do/start-thinking/

0

Melanie’s Answer

Hi Angelina.

I see you are from El Paso. I had the opportunity to travel there on business about a year ago. I visited Swiss Post Solutions! I enjoyed my visit!

In regards to your question, what do I like best about my career? I enjoy working for a company that has strong core values.

It’s because of these values that I have worked at the company for 19 years.

People Count - I am afforded great benefits. In addition to your traditional benefits such as Medical, Dental and Vision, I am offered benefits such as Tuition Reimbursement which allows me to further my education; to learn and grow.

The Work From Home benefit has to be one of my favorite aspects of the job as it has allowed me to improve my work life balance. My company believes that good work happens everywhere. It’s because of this benefit that I am able to attend my son’s soccer games, or start dinner during my lunch break or throw in a load of laundry before work, etc. WFH also helps decrease my gas expenses as well as reduce the wear and tear on my vehicle. There are just too many benefits to mention!

Another treasured aspect of my job is opportunity! If you put yourself out there and are not afraid of the risk, the sky is the limit! I have had several different roles in the 19 years that I have worked at my company. It’s because of the opportunities that my job always feels new and fresh and I’m constantly being challenged and learning.

You hold the key to your success, Angelina. Take risks and be open to new opportunities. Your future awaits!!

Best wishes!

Melanie

0

Gloria’s Answer

I am an Instructional Designer. That is a person who creates training that is either taught by someone else (an instructor) or viewed by a student (in web-based or video form). It fulfills two passions that I have, writing and being of service to others. Teaching someone how to do their job well is a gift that will last that person all of their career. That's a big deal to me. I can have a positive impact on potentially thousands of people with just one course that I have worked on. It is a humbling thought. In addition, I get to write every day. I have written since I learned how to create letters with a pencil. I dream in words. Now I can use words every day to have a positive impact. That is the ultimate win-win. The other elements of the job are kind of interesting as well. The nature of my job is very technical, so I have learned a lot about various computer programs and have to know how to code. I spend some of my time working through graphic design challenges. Technology such as video and virtual training means that I have to think about the vision forming of words. There is power in good composition and thoughtful structuring of short video components. My job doesn't limit me to a single field. I have worked for banks, a pharmaceutical company, an online travel company, and telecommunications companies. My skills can take me anywhere in the world and can be performed anywhere in the world. I am the luckiest person that I know in the job that I have.

0

Scott’s Answer

The thing I enjoy most about my career is the quality of the people I'm privileged to work with. There are many positive things about being in technology (strong pay, interesting work, etc) but I value the interactions I have with others the most.

0

Shelby’s Answer

As a high school math teacher, the thing I like most about my job is when I make connections with students. I want to provide a comfortable and safe environment for learning (especially since math is such an anxiety-inducing subject), so creating connections can help to make students more open in the classroom. I also love it when students finally get that "ah-ha!" moment in math. Seeing them go from struggling to fully comprehending a concept through your guidance is so genuinely rewarding.

0

Nakul’s Answer

That is a great question. I mean rather than asking what Career would suit me or something on the similar notes, I liked this approach of understanding what individuals like about their career and then looking into insights and deciding further. Anyway now let me jump to what I do and why I love doing that.

I am a Software Engineer(DevOps/Cloud). What I like about my job? Nearly everything.

- I get to talk to various stakeholders. I just enjoy it. The idea of talking to people from various background likes Sales, Marketing, Executives, Developers, Testers, Operations is very exciting to me. I get to learn so much.
- I like playing with Cloud technologies. And thats what I usually do.
- The issues I solve are related to Security, Performance, Reliability, Availability. They are hard and doesn't come in a day or two. It takes time. There is a lot of research involved into it. And I like that pain. Things failing for a certain time, And then the happiness of success is on the next level.

Please comment and let me know if you want to know more about it or need any further help.

0

Grotius’s Answer

What I like the most in my career so far are:

1) Growth. I've learned so much from the different jobs I've had and the challenges that come up. There are always learning moments, some are quick and painless, while others may take some time to get over, but either way, I get to learn and grow.

2) Great co-workers and friends. It's always nice to meet all kinds of people with different backgrounds, skills, personalities, and perspectives.

3) Ability to do stuff outside of work. Work-life balance is important, and being able to pursue my hobbies and passions outside of work is very important , and my career has allowed me to do that.

0

Aaron’s Answer

Hi! I'll sum up my experience so far as a software engineer in a few points.

- I get to work on a lot of different problems. Imagine having to do the same homework assignment everyday. That sounds boring! Software engineers get to work on DIFFERENT problems often so it's much less boring and it tends to be a fun challenge

- Learning opportunities. There are many things you can learn in the field of tech and so many ways to solve problems and build things. Learning is part of the job

- Autonomy. I get to do a lot of independent work but I also get to work with a team too

- Free Perks. A lot of tech companies generally have free snacks and drinks :)

Those are just some of the pros of my job. It sounds like lots of fun but don't get me wrong. It's a lot of work and can be stressful sometimes but I chose this career because it's something I fully enjoy doing, even when I'm not programming for work. I hope this helps a bit. Best of luck!

0

Diana’s Answer

What I like most about my career is I get to work with people! I'm more of an extrovert, hence, I enjoy interacting with people on a daily basis. I am a recruiter so I also enjoy offering jobs to people, so much fun and rewarding. Although I also have to reject candidates, which is not so fun. In addition, what I like about my career is that I've worked in different industries / sectors. Meaning, Pharma, Technology, Utility, Business.
I try to make sure the companies I work for are engaging, fun, places I can learn and get promoted.

0

The thing I I like the most is interacting with people that I work with. It includes customers, co-workers and teammates. It's great to get everyone's different perspective on things because everyone brings something to the table. I work with very intelligent people and I always learn new things about my job and life.

0

Anny’s Answer

I am a strategist for an advertising agency so my job is:

Engaging: I am absorbed in my work which involves helping my clients come up with creative solutions to business problems.

Innovation: For most of my career, I have worked in innovation, applying new technologies to developing solutions. This means that I had access to new technologies (at that time, Google Glasses, smartwatches, other wearables) to understand how people will use new technologies and apply it to their everyday lives.

Autonomy: I enjoy that I can work independently in order to complete my work.

Collaboration: I get to work with smart and talented people who are as committed as I am to helping our clients.

0

Jeffrey’s Answer

Hi Angelina,

What I like most about my job is that I am doing something I am good at that also gives me a lot pleasure because I am providing something valuable. I am at the core an information researcher. I dig through reports, articles, studies finding data, opinions, insights that answer my business clients' questions. I am very resourceful finding sources of information, then I try to make sense out of all the information. I aggregate it, organize it, compare it, interpret it and think deeply about its implications. Finally I create a presentation for my client that makes an often complex topic easy to grasp. The ultimate reward is when my clients say my work has helped them to understand the topic in a new and deeper way.

0

Divy’s Answer

I work at a software company in Silicon Valley and focus on how to price our products. Here are the things I like the most about my job:

1) People: I get to learn a lot from working with really intelligent people who have various backgrounds and experiences.

2) Creative Thinking: I do a lot of creative thinking in my role and focus on solving long term problems.

3) Autonomy: I have a significant amount of autonomy in my job and really get to own how I spend my time and what areas to focus on.

Divy recommends the following next steps:

I would encourage you to do different internships to understand what you like doing, who you like working with, etc. and continue to network with different professionals to get a view into what their day to day is like.

0

Ceil’s Answer

I found a career that let me advance professionally while still learning new things every day - learning & development. Every organization wants to develop its people, and my professional credentials mean I have gobs of experience helping them do that quickly and effectively. If I'd stuck with one industry or with one type of training (I started in the hardware design industry building technical training), I would have been bored to death, but I've worked in hardware, software, internet, healthcare (delivery, insurance, pharmaceutical, medtech), and in technology and leadership consulting. So fun!

Ceil recommends the following next steps:

If there's a field or an industry about which you are totally passionate, focus on that. If not, don't worry: you can find a profession that lets you continue to explore while you decide.
Talk to lots of people - if they're doing interesting work, and/or seem to value the same things you do (some people like change, others prefer consistency; some people like analytical work, others prefer integrating interpersonal skills into their daily tasks, etc.), find out what they love. Ask them how they got there. Ask for advice!

0

Iman’s Answer

Hi there,

I love this question! I am an auditor and I went to school for accounting and finance. My favorite thing about my career is constantly meeting new people and learning more and each and every day. I started about a year ago and I cannot believe how much I have learned and how many people I have met in such a short time period. In my opinion, working with good people can make an enormous different in your career - I have great teammates in my career and I really appreciate it.

0

Blake’s Answer

Hey Angelina,

The thing that I like most about my career is that I work for a company that wants me to succeed and are actively involved in my development.

Thanks,
Blake

0

Meaningful work, meaningful relationship, and continuous learning.

0