What do you like most about your career?

Asked El Paso, Texas

Grotius’s Answer

What I like the most in my career so far are:

1) Growth. I've learned so much from the different jobs I've had and the challenges that come up. There are always learning moments, some are quick and painless, while others may take some time to get over, but either way, I get to learn and grow.

2) Great co-workers and friends. It's always nice to meet all kinds of people with different backgrounds, skills, personalities, and perspectives.

3) Ability to do stuff outside of work. Work-life balance is important, and being able to pursue my hobbies and passions outside of work is very important , and my career has allowed me to do that.

Aaron’s Answer

Hi! I'll sum up my experience so far as a software engineer in a few points.

- I get to work on a lot of different problems. Imagine having to do the same homework assignment everyday. That sounds boring! Software engineers get to work on DIFFERENT problems often so it's much less boring and it tends to be a fun challenge

- Learning opportunities. There are many things you can learn in the field of tech and so many ways to solve problems and build things. Learning is part of the job

- Autonomy. I get to do a lot of independent work but I also get to work with a team too

- Free Perks. A lot of tech companies generally have free snacks and drinks :)

Those are just some of the pros of my job. It sounds like lots of fun but don't get me wrong. It's a lot of work and can be stressful sometimes but I chose this career because it's something I fully enjoy doing, even when I'm not programming for work. I hope this helps a bit. Best of luck!

Ceil’s Answer

Updated Oakland, California

I found a career that let me advance professionally while still learning new things every day - learning & development. Every organization wants to develop its people, and my professional credentials mean I have gobs of experience helping them do that quickly and effectively. If I'd stuck with one industry or with one type of training (I started in the hardware design industry building technical training), I would have been bored to death, but I've worked in hardware, software, internet, healthcare (delivery, insurance, pharmaceutical, medtech), and in technology and leadership consulting. So fun!

Ceil recommends the following next steps:

• If there's a field or an industry about which you are totally passionate, focus on that. If not, don't worry: you can find a profession that lets you continue to explore while you decide.
  • Talk to lots of people - if they're doing interesting work, and/or seem to value the same things you do (some people like change, others prefer consistency; some people like analytical work, others prefer integrating interpersonal skills into their daily tasks, etc.), find out what they love. Ask them how they got there. Ask for advice!

Gagan’s Answer

Updated Bend, Oregon

In general there are a few things that are important in your career:

• Learning - Learning and continuously growing in your career is important. You should always be in a learning mode that helps you grow
  • Co-workers - You'll be spending more time with people you work than with your family. So you should enjoy working with your co-workers
  • Mentor and mentee - As you continue to grow in your career it's important that you mentor others who are looking for help and always look for people who you would like to be mentored by

Gagan recommends the following next steps:

• https://medium.com/the-year-of-the-looking-glass/how-to-think-about-your-career-abf5300eba08
  • https://www.brightnetwork.co.uk/no-idea-what-do/start-thinking/

Divy’s Answer

I work at a software company in Silicon Valley and focus on how to price our products. Here are the things I like the most about my job:

1) People: I get to learn a lot from working with really intelligent people who have various backgrounds and experiences.

2) Creative Thinking: I do a lot of creative thinking in my role and focus on solving long term problems.

3) Autonomy: I have a significant amount of autonomy in my job and really get to own how I spend my time and what areas to focus on.

Divy recommends the following next steps:

• I would encourage you to do different internships to understand what you like doing, who you like working with, etc. and continue to network with different professionals to get a view into what their day to day is like.

Scott’s Answer

The thing I enjoy most about my career is the quality of the people I'm privileged to work with. There are many positive things about being in technology (strong pay, interesting work, etc) but I value the interactions I have with others the most.