1. What do you like about your career?

Learning about computer technology in Job Corps in San Jose, CA, U.S.A. #computer #technology #computer-science

Sam’s Answer

More than anything, I like the opportunity to solve real-world problems and work with others who are passionate about doing the same thing. In nearly every one of my jobs, the products/solutions we created were not just solutions to business needs, but also helped create entirely new categories of entrepreneurs and businesses. They impacted society and touched millions of people on a daily basis. To me, there is a very important difference between something being a job and something being a career. A "job" is something you pursue purely for economic reasons. A "career" is something you dedicate yourself to not just as a way of earning money, but also because you truly care and want to make a difference in the world in a way that is most meaningful to you and where you feel you have the most to give.

Jeffrey’s Answer

Updated El Segundo, California

I most enjoy delivering solutions that have a measurable impact to the bottom line. Early in my career I felt like a cog in a very big machine. After grad school I transitioned to a small software firm then started my firm. I most enjoyed building a business through references. For me, working in and with small to medium business allowed me to have the most impact and career satisfaction.

Brian’s Answer

Updated St. Louis, Missouri

I enjoy solving difficult problems and delivering real value. There is certainly satisfaction in tackling the most difficult problems successfully. I also enjoy teaching/mentoring others.

Brian recommends the following next steps:

• The key is to know what you enjoy and find ways to pursue that passion in your career.
  • Find tangential areas where you can improve/learn that will allow you to further achieve success. The tangential areas may not be your passion (e.g. communication), but it may limit how much you can achieve in your area of passion.

Susanne’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

Hi Omar,

On of the things I like about my job is being able to help people and businesses achieve their goals. Often, our clients have an idea of where they want to go and where they want to be. Where I and my teammates come in to "flesh out" their ideas and provide help where needed. When they are successful, I feel good because I played a small part in that.

The other is being able to continuously learn. As the technology landscape changes, I have to make sure to keep up with it through studying and experimentation. Being able to learn new things and experiment keeps things exciting, and no two days in my job are ever the same.

Tejas’s Answer

Hi Omar,

I like the interaction with various people that have different perspectives partnering together to come up with one solution. Continuously learning from your peers and others is amazing.

Best,

Tejas