1. What do you like about your career?

10

Learning about computer technology in Job Corps in San Jose, CA, U.S.A. #computer #technology #computer-science

10

Sam’s Answer

2

More than anything, I like the opportunity to solve real-world problems and work with others who are passionate about doing the same thing. In nearly every one of my jobs, the products/solutions we created were not just solutions to business needs, but also helped create entirely new categories of entrepreneurs and businesses. They impacted society and touched millions of people on a daily basis. To me, there is a very important difference between something being a job and something being a career. A "job" is something you pursue purely for economic reasons. A "career" is something you dedicate yourself to not just as a way of earning money, but also because you truly care and want to make a difference in the world in a way that is most meaningful to you and where you feel you have the most to give.

Wow, that was a good distinction between the two. The further I I delve into my passion, the more I begin to understand myself. A few years ago, I never thought about computer science, and only thought of medicine, but now, I find that I love computers, and want to make an impact with likeminded individuals. I really do feel like I have the most to give in this career, however, I will have to work harder than anyone else, which I am ready to do. Thank you for reaffirming my career choice, and reigniting the passion for impacting others. I wish you the best of luck on your mission, and I hope that we both can find fulfillment in our career by reflecting on it when looking a few years back. All the best! Aun M. Translate
2

Jeffrey’s Answer

0

I most enjoy delivering solutions that have a measurable impact to the bottom line. Early in my career I felt like a cog in a very big machine. After grad school I transitioned to a small software firm then started my firm. I most enjoyed building a business through references. For me, working in and with small to medium business allowed me to have the most impact and career satisfaction.

0

Tejas’s Answer

0

Hi Omar,

I like the interaction with various people that have different perspectives partnering together to come up with one solution. Continuously learning from your peers and others is amazing.

Best,

Tejas

0

Susanne’s Answer

0

Hi Omar,

On of the things I like about my job is being able to help people and businesses achieve their goals. Often, our clients have an idea of where they want to go and where they want to be. Where I and my teammates come in to "flesh out" their ideas and provide help where needed. When they are successful, I feel good because I played a small part in that.

The other is being able to continuously learn. As the technology landscape changes, I have to make sure to keep up with it through studying and experimentation. Being able to learn new things and experiment keeps things exciting, and no two days in my job are ever the same.

0

Sumudu’s Answer

0

Hi,

One thing I like the most about my Job is that I get to work on cutting edge technologies and have the chance to work on problems to find solutions. Which gives me great satisfaction to see some issue being solved.

At the same time, it is highly challenging as I have to be updated with new technologies, but it's never boring, to the point that,I never feel the time is moving slowly.

0

Brian’s Answer

0

I enjoy solving difficult problems and delivering real value. There is certainly satisfaction in tackling the most difficult problems successfully. I also enjoy teaching/mentoring others.

Brian recommends the following next steps:

• The key is to know what you enjoy and find ways to pursue that passion in your career.
  • Find tangential areas where you can improve/learn that will allow you to further achieve success. The tangential areas may not be your passion (e.g. communication), but it may limit how much you can achieve in your area of passion.
0

Mark’s Answer

0

Omar,

Thanks for asking this question! I am a recruiter and each day look for talent across the globe for openings. I enjoy helping to change people lives for the better both financially and helping them find work they love. Over the years I have received call backs from people I put to work letting me know where they are in their career today and the impact I had on their lives. I do believe there is greatest form of currency is the positive impact we can have on another persons life! I feel lucky to be a recruiter and grateful for the opportunity to help people.

0