Does sales jobs in the airline industry require travel ?

5

Hi,
I am thinking of studying marketing at university. I have thought of working at an airline in sales. Do they get to travel? If I got a corporate job doing sales for an airliner, I would be happy to travel a few times a year. #marketing #airline-industry #sales #business #travel

5

Celine’s Answer

0
Don't be swayed by the fact that its airline sales that you'd get to benefit from travel - I would in Software sales and because my teams service a lot of different regions we travel quite a lot to be where our customers are. So if your looking to travel pick sales jobs that work with customers in different regions ;)
0

Alexandra’s Answer

0
Hi Sammy

To Todd’s point - in airline industry it depends what you sell. In some areas of an airline company you do get to travel because you’re required to meet the airline’s customers on-site, the airline’s vendors/providers - or other services the airline provides or uses.

If you would be in the airline’s “inside sales” or “business development areas” you might not travel at all as usually they are office roles and being on-site is not required.

I would suggest you to look at the Arline’s departments/divisions that are hiring for “field” sales. Depending on the size of the airline and services provided, this could be a senior role.

If you're going through with studying marketing, you can grow in this space and will get to travel no mater the industry you work in.
Hope this helps.
0

Todd’s Answer

0

Depends on what version of sales you get into.  For example if your an inside sales specialist you would be in an office environment.  Conversely an outside sales specialist would require more travel.  How much depends on where you live vs where your account sets are located.   

Thank you! Sammy N.
Hi Sammy! Because the margins on commercial air travel are so thin, it's rare that you will get to travel for work, positions are more in call centre settings. However you would get perks for working for an airline. If you can work in the private air sector, sales will be more lucrative, though these positions are a lot more rare. Good luck! Dominic Dominic Lachapelle
Thank you Dominic! Sammy N.
0

Alain’s Answer

0

Absolutely, you need to go to your airline routes/destinations and promote your airline, connect with tourism industry, know the culture, best places to visit and what the destinations can offer. It’s best to join those airline that has just started and taking international routes, it is where the fun and challenges begins.

Thank you so much Alain! Sammy N.
0