How long do u have to be in school to be a chef

10
10

Steven’s Answer

0
You don't have to go to school to be a Chef. Is it helpful? In some ways. But, nothing will beat the experience you gain from a working commercial kitchen. If you have the desire, stamina (mental and physical), and drive.....you can be a Chef.

Do not take this as an endorsement to not go to school!!!! Any education is a benefit for any one. If you find yourself wanting a credential of some sort and can't afford school or don't have the time, I suggest the ACF Certification Program. It will done great job of helping you flex those skills and is readily asked for my tons of restaurants as either a prerequisite for employment or a definite plus on your side when deciding who to hire.

No matter what path you choose good luck and God Bless.
0

Jonathan Agnew’s Answer

0

6 Months. Then You Can Take An Online Exam At 123ce.com; After Taking Several Other Certification Exams. Each Course Ending With Your Certifying Exam Will Cost You $150-$350. Know Your Craft And Succeed.

0

Joe’s Answer

0
Going to culinary school DOES NOT MAKE YOU A CHEF! "Chef" is a job title, not a degree. Some of the words best chefs have little or no formal schooling (google it). That doesn't mean there's no value to culinary school, you can learn a lot there, if you put in the effort.

Joe recommends the following next steps:

• http://bit.ly/2PTcxFh
0

Jason Francisco’s Answer

0
Hello there! Culinary school is quite expensive to learn here in the Philippines, not a lot of people can affort it. I am an HRM graduate but during my college days i got to be an intern in the USA for a year. Got to be trained in two 5 star hotels there. During my training my skills inside the kitchen were improving. As they would train interns on knife skills and if they improve they move to the next station. I already started cooking when i was at home but just the basics. Internship molded me with my career. But given a chance that u would enroll in culinary school go for it. If its passion driven, but here in the Philippines i have worked with Chefs that did not even finish college yet, but are working in 4 to 5 star hotels/resorts. It is just a matter of self discipline and passion. The willingness to learn and to be train by others.

Hope this helps you in your journey!
Goodluck in you career!
0

Adrienne’s Answer

0
While you do not need to got culinary school to become a chef, you can get your associates degree (2 years), all the way through a masters degree (6years total).
0

Cesar’s Answer

0
Generally it's a 2yr degree program, for an associate degree in culinary arts. Some schools have certificate programs which takes less time.
Look into your local American Culinary Federation (ACF).... They have apprentice programs which will cost much less, some may even be free.

Cesar recommends the following next steps:

• https://www.acfchefs.org/
0

caleb’s Answer

0
You don't need school. You may be one of the lucky few who actually do get alot out of formal education, but speaking from 19 years as a cook/chef, the best chefs I ever worked for did not go to school. While some people do benefit from it, for every one person who does there are a handful of others who come out with a fancy degree, huge debt, and no common sense. I can probably speak for alot of other chefs when I say that a solid resume of on the job experience goes alot further than a diploma. Be ready to do the work, it's not an easy life.
I have to agree it’s not totally necessary to have a degree, but it would have made it a lot easier. Most big corporations will take a degree over experience. I have been a chef for 35 years and have been passed up many times because I dont have a degree. Brian Harding
While many will, sure, I think "most" is a generalization. caleb graber-smith
0

Ben’s Answer

0
This is a tricky questions since I know a lot of chef with no schooling. Being a Chef is all about a lifestyle more than a job or a career. With a lot of passion, a tremendous amount of hard work, motivation and patience anybody can become a chef. School will give you a base knowledge but nothing that won’t be taught through various jobs.
0

Adrienne’s Answer

0
0