What companies/occupations make it their job to find flaws?

Updated Fort Collins, Colorado

I am asking because this is something I might like to do. I do happen to watch a lot of movies and was wondering if movies are not all lies. To be specific, are there companies that get hired to try to disable a company's security system, find flaws in a website or app, or altering access cards and suggest ways to make their building/product better. Or if companies do this within their company what is their occupation title. #engineering #career #engineer #computer #job #programming #electrical-engineering #careers

Matthew’s Answer

Updated Stratford, Connecticut

Hi Augusta I. Great question! There are a number of different occupations that try to find flaws. In general they are called quality assurance, or quality control positions. When I worked for Microsoft, I wrote code to test the Windows 7 operating system to find software flaws called "bugs". The code was necessary to automate testing because during the development phase, the Windows program would change on a regular basis and testing everything by hand would be impossible across all the different languages and computer configurations.

Anyway, there are certainly whole industries that look for flaws in all kinds of products and services. In the internet realm, these are typically seen through a security lens. You can imagine how important finding flaws would be for a company like Facebook, or a big bank thats processing your checks online! On the other hand, if you working for a traditional product company like Ford or Tesla, you would be working through a quality control lens to make sure that the products getting shipped to customers meet the quality specifications for each model

Either way, both of these positions are in demand, and with the right degree and experience, you could land yourself a very well paying job. Have a look online at those different keywords for jobs that might interest you. Let me know if you have follow up questions and good luck!

• Matthew

Eva’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

Another option is being an auditor or inspector. There are many kinds: financial and safety are two bigger ones that come to mind.

Laura’s Answer

Updated Austin, Texas

Security is going to be more and more in demand in every area. Technology, infrastructure, physical, process and governance, surveillance. etc.

Pran’s Answer

Updated Boston, Massachusetts

You're looking for a fault analysis, QA, or internet security position it sounds like. There are companies that specialize in testing others' security, such as WhiteHat Security. That's (white hat) also the term you should google to find out more.

Ken’s Answer

Updated Cleveland, Ohio

Hi!

Here is some helpful information about a real and seemingly fun career area for you to explore!

http://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/information-security-analyst

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/information-security-analysts.htm

Please keep me informed! I would like to follow your progress! Send thank you notes to those who help you. Best of luck on your journey!