What double major should I choose between maths and physics with a major in computer science ?

5
5

Dhairya’s Answer

0
I'll offer contrary advice. I'm an artificial intelligence researcher. Double majoring is a great idea. There is a strong overlap between both physics and math requirements with CS programs, so you'll have no problem finishing both degrees in a span of 4 years. It is quite common to see dual cs/math and cs/physics majors. Your core math requirements are quite transferable across all three and it won't require extra semesters or costs.

It's up to you as to what is more enjoyable for you. If I were to do it over again, I would have chosen major in physics as it's fascinating. Additionally, you'll get the advanced math and stats skillset in an applied setting which translates well to CS and AI problems. Math always felt a bit more abstract and theoretical to me, but I have several friends who came from pure math or a math/cs background too. When you get to college take classes in both pure math and physics and purse the major that is more fun for you. Honestly there is no wrong answer and both will serve you well.
Hi Dhairya , thank you for your wonderful insight Raphael F.
0

0
Honestly, I have to agree with the minor suggestion, versus a dual major, unless your education is being funded and you're not worried about loans.

As far as to pick, practicality would suggest mathematics, but I'll provide a different approach. The best developers are often people who don't narrow their focus to one practice, but rather, have a specific skillset, and then branch out in hobby or passion that also keeps them engaged in a multi-disciplinary way. The most interesting and successful developers and IT professionals I've worked with often have creative outlets that they pursue, and these often help inform how they approach their IT/Tech-related work.

You might think development and coding go hand-in-hand with math, but you also might find that a creative replacement for math is music - with its similarities in mathematical complexities, but the expansiveness to creativity. Or abstract art with it's counter-point in geometry and understanding how to visualize objects in three-dimensional space is useful when running through problems. There's a lot of ways to go approach your career, and it shouldn't be about fitting inside a box.

As an accomplished IT Project Manager and Operations Stategist - my degree is a BA in English with a focus on creative writing. It has helped provide a unique lens through which I (opinion) better communicate, and don't silo myself into one avenue. It makes me a more relational thinker, versus linear thinker - even though I'm primed to also think linearly through processes.

So, have a core focus, but unless it's your only interest, I'd recommend that if you want a second major, make sure it's something you're equally passionate about. Life's too short to only focus on what makes us "successful" without also figuring out what brings us joy.
0

Nicholas’s Answer

0
Personally I would choose another major that closely relates to computer science, but if you are really wanting to do one of those two as a second major, I would go with math; physics is great and probably more interesting but the math may help more then physics would depending on what you are trying to do in the computer science realm.
Hey Nicholas , thanks for your answer. What are some other majors that would complement c.s ? Raphael F.
What do you intend to try to do with the major? Are you looking to get into programming/coding, cybersecurity, it help desk, troubleshooting? The IT and computer fields are huge. Nicholas Johnson
0

Jan Hodges’s Answer

0
When considering a double major, first find out if it is going to make your path to the bachelor's longer, and then consider the added cost. Many times, the double major will increase your loan more than your career options. Instead of a second major, consider adding a minor, especially if it doesn't add additional time and money. Your quality of life after the bachelor's degree is dependent on making good choices with your financial aid. Go to your college's career counselor. You are paying for that service with your tuition dollars - use it! Let them assist you with choosing the best major for your career goal.
Thanks for your answer Raphael F.
0

Kumi’s Answer

0
Not sure why you want to do a double major, but have you considered statistics? I think that's more relevant with the CS, and there doesn't seem to be enough statisticians for data science needs. Stats packages are totally cool, and raw coding is always useful in preping data.
0