Can i become a lawyer with a Criminology Degree

4

i am currently studying towards my Criminology degree and along my studies i discovered that i want to be a lawyer (Criminal Defense Lawyer) now my question is will i be able to become a lawyer with this degree or do i have to enroll again with a Law school and start an LLB degree?
#lawyer
#law
#criminal-justice
#attorney

4

Katharine’s Answer

2
Absolutely. You can become a lawyer with any type of accredited degree, you do not have to follow an undergraduate legal track. In fact, for many lawyer jobs an undergraduate degree in other areas, e.g. science (patent and health law), international studies (immigration and public international law), music and arts (entertainment law and intellectual property law), etc. can set you on your path to specialization in these areas. Remember, it is of great importance to know exactly which type of law you wish to practice before you go to law school!
2

Tina’s Answer

1
Hi Ketshepaone-
It looks like in South Africa, you can become a lawyer with a bachelor's degree. However, the degree must come from an accredited law school.
I hope this helps!
Tina
I am studying with University of South Africa.. My confusion is that with Bachelor's Degree in Criminology will it be possible to be a lawyer after I complete my degree? ketshepaone M. Translate
The degree isn't the issue, it's more so whether or not the program is accredited. You may be able to find this information on the school criminology program website. Tina Luzzi Translate
The program which I enrolled for it is fully accredited ketshepaone M. Translate
What I read is that the program needs to be from an accredited law school. Is your criminology program within a law school? Tina Luzzi Translate
Thank you so much ketshepaone M. Translate
1

Michelle’s Answer

1
Yes you can, but you will also need to take some legal classes and take the bar exam. You should speak to an academic advisor and someone who is already a lawyer for the best route to take. Best of luck.
1

0
Hi!

It appears that the requirement to practice law in South Africa is an LLB degree (law).
It also appears that in South Africa, it MAY be possible to go straight to law school without first getting an undergraduate degree. I say MAY because even though that may be allowed, it appears that all or most of the law schools in South Africa require some sort of undergraduate degree, with a BComm or BA being the most popular undergraduate studies. It appears a 2 year degree may also be possible.

I say "appears" because there seems to be some change going on as to how to get into law school and how long it lasts. I recommend you look at the various law schools in South Africa for more information on their admissions requirements. https://www.hg.org/law-schools-south-africa.asp

South Africa requires an LLB. It also requires that you practice law for a while before you can sit for the bar exam. I think that's an awesome idea. I believe it is a 24 month requirement. So, yes, you will need an LLB.
Thank you so much really appreciate it ketshepaone M. Translate
0