To become a dance therapist should I study special education as well?

4

Well I am a dancer and doctors say I can never dance professionally so I decided to become a dance therapist. Therefore nothing can stop me from dancing and I can help others considering I was born with deformities as well. Dance has changed my life and I wanna use it to help others just like me. #dance #dance-therapist #performing-arts #arts #art #college

4

JENNA’s Answer

0

It can't hurt to have additional training to go along with the dance, so you can apply your dance knowledge to whatever field you are in. Education is a great idea- special education is always in need of talented, dedicated professionals. There are also other therapeutic uses for dance, such as physical therapy or senior populations, so I would advise you to speak with your career counselor, and to take several non-dance-oriented classes to see what other fields you might be able to apply your dance talents to in a career. Then you can get the necessary credentials to perform in that field and to use your dance skills. Good luck!

0

Jane’s Answer

0
Definitely find a site where you can volunteer and/or intern with special education. Start with early studies in developmental psychology, human development, and at the same time, specialize in a genre of dance. Identifying a group you wish to teach dance therapy to is always helpful in terms of the career route you hope for. The American Dance Therapy Association (ADTA) has an accredited program that you can complete in the US or overseas to advance your professional standing in therapy and/or counseling. Do not let anyone ever break your dreams! Follow your passion and good luck!
0

Tyzhanae’s Answer

0
Keep dancing. As a dance therapist your story will motivate others to dance as well.
0