If i want to get my PHD, and I am graduating from High School this year, how and when should I begin to study for the MCAT's?

I want to be come a Psychiatrist, hopefully one that specializes in developmental psychiatry. I know that if I must become a psychiatrist i have to go into medical school which of course will take me many years until i get my PHD. I know i have a lot of work ahead of me, and i just want to be sure to know when i should begin that work so that i can efficiently improve on my studying habits and to become better prepared than my competitors. #psychology #pre-med #doctorate-degree #psychiatry #social-psychology #social-science-phd

5

In the US, psychiatrists have gone to medical school. It's best to take a summer off between 2nd and 3rd year of college to study for and take the MCAT. Try to take the med school prerequisites before taking the MCAT.

1

Lauren’s Answer

When I entered undergraduate my major was Pre-med and everything was geared towards entering medical school. I changed my major in my junior year and went a different route into Counseling.

Bravo for wanting to pull the non medical, yet clinical application of psychology into your work as a psychiatrist! So I would go for the tougher degree first - medical school. So gear all of your coursework and activities towards medicine with an flavor of psychology. This way, if you happen to enjoy something else more in medical school you have the skills and knowledge to refocus your efforts. Once you have your MD and are a practicing psychiatrist you can then decide (and will have more information) on how much coursework you want to take in the realm on clinical psychology.

I've had friends go for the MD and find they love the mix of neurology and neuroscience with psychiatry, and add a specialty PhD in neuroscience to round out their practice.

Give yourself some room for flexibility and this will allow the best choices for you to appear!

0

Linda Ann’s Answer

The MCAT's are for admission to medical school; normally you would take them in your junior year (but perhaps after your sophomore year, depending upon the course work completed thus far). Most universities have advisors who specialize in advising students who want to go to medical school. Psychiatrists indeed have the M.D. degree.

The Ph.D. degree requires taking the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) and not the MCAT. Yes, you can obtain a Ph.D. (which is essentially a research based degree) and an M.D. - but you'll be spending most of your young adulthood in school ... psychologists get Ph.D.'s or Psy.D's. Many high school students get these two, closely related disciplines confused.

If you have additional questions, don't hesitate to contact me directly through LinkedIn. Good luck.

0

To become a psychiatrist, you will need to go to medical school to earn an MD rather than a PhD. This means that you will have to complete college with a bachelor’s degree as well as all of the Pre-med requirements (1 year biology, 1 year inorganic chemistry, 1 year organic chemistry + labs, physics, calculus, and biochemistry). GPA should probably be 3.5 or better (preferably >3.8). You will also have to score well on the MCAT. Once accepted to medical school, as long as you pass your classes and perform reasonably well during your four years of medical training, you can apply for a psychiatry 4 year residency.

0

Trisa’s Answer

First, to become a psychiatrist, you need an MD, not a PhD. Psychology may require a PhD. As for the MCATs, don't start studying until your senior year. You will have enough to do with the heavy workload of classes. You seem very focused. you will do just fine!

0