What impacts does studying abroad have on your career?

5

I want to study abroad while pursuing my Master's degree in Accounting and Finance and I am considering earning my masters degree abroad- studying for about two years in another country. Will studying abroad/earning a degree abroad in the business field affect my opportunities of pursuing a business-related field in the U.S. or another country(whether those impacts may be positive or negative I appreciate knowing)? In addition, which locations would you recommend when deciding where to study abroad? #career #finance #accounting #degree #masters #study-abroad

5

Stephanie’s Answer

1

Great questions!

I think there are two distinct approaches here. One, is to fully pursue a graduate degree outside of the US.

There are some graduate programs and fellowships available that will cover the cost or significantly reduce the cost of tuition, in countries outside of the US. These are great opportunities to get a global education and also expand the realm of career options. One example is free tuition for international students in Germany (via DAAD) or a Fulbright Scholarship, or Rotary Global Grant.

The other approach is to pursue a graduate degree at a US institution and participate in a study abroad program while pursuing the degree. Those options may be more limited, but as part of your consideration you should inquire about this when investigating graduate programs.

Employers value international experience gained via study abroad. It will certainly be an asset in most multinational, global corporations. It's important to learn how to unpack that experience in your resume and in your interviews. Good luck!

1

Michelle’s Answer

0
I’m not sure about US per se, but in general employers do value international experience and exposure , so as long as the experience whether through education or other wise is relevant , it probably is quite a good experience
0

Simon’s Answer

0
First of all, a Master's degree in Accounting and Finance is an excellent choice. I am a big supporter of any international experience and starting with some time studying abroad can only really help - help with your personal development, the quality of your education and differentiate you when you are apply for a job. With that said, not every company and therefore every job opportunity will be interested in the international experience. Thus make sure you think about which company you would like to work for as this may influence the choices you make now. Global corporations are the ones most likely to be of interest in the path you are thinking of taking.
0

Guilaine’s Answer

0
I am a big supporter as well as we live in a more and more global environment. Studying abroad will give you a different perspective and a good experience. For locations, it really depends what you are trying to achieve and in which company/ sector you would like to review. You have to consider how proficient you are in a different language if you are looking for a non-English speaking country. A lot of universities these offer classes and programs in English even in non-English speaking countries.

If you have other questions, just let me know!

Good luck
0

Anmol’s Answer

0

http://www.internationalstudent.com/study-abroad/guide/ten-benefits-to-studying-abroad/

0