Post college, what are some things that need to be considered when looking for jobs?

10

I want to know some good things to consider when looking and interviewing for jobs after college. #job #job-search #job-market #job-fairs

10

Emmaline’s Answer

1
Hi Laurel!

First off, good luck looking for jobs! I recommend considering:
1) Is this company/organization something you feel comfortable working for?
2) Will you be able to use and develop new skills in this role?
3) How do you feel about the hiring manager? A good manager is far (IMO) more important than a good salary - a high % burnout with bad managers (and a good manager can also help you get promoted more quickly!)

You don't need to get the "perfect" job right now, but hopefully you can find something that pays you a fair wage and gives you opportunities to develop skills / learn about other roles. Most people nowadays end up doing more roles, so try not to feel stuck. Your first job doesn't define you, or your career, so as long as you can spin it and develop.
Your answer is great Emmaline, thanks so much for sharing your expertise! At this moment there are more than 800 unanswered questions so I wanted to encourage you to keep going! So many students will benefit tremendously from hearing from you. Keep up the great work! Jordan Rivera COACH
1

Melitssa’s Answer

1
Hi Laurel!

I agree with everything everyone else posted! Also, a good tip before interviewing, read and research about the company you’re interviewing with. Find out about their culture as well as what they do (what do they sell/provide etc.)
1

Catherine’s Answer

0

Hi Laurel, I would highly suggest asking your parents, adults in your life, and friends who are currently working, questions about what makes them excited about their jobs. Having graduated a little less than a year ago, some of the most important points I focused on were: What would I be learning from this job? Are there opportunities for me to grow (vertically or horizontally) in this position? What's the work/life balance? (WLB can include commute times, ability to exercise, have time at home to cook, etc.) How does this job position me for my career goals?

I recommend giving yourself time to reflect on past jobs you've had (if any) and to make distinctions between what was good and what was bad with each job.

Good luck on your search!

Catherine recommends the following next steps:

• Create a list of the jobs that catch your eye
  • Identify what you're looking to gain from any job
  • Go through your list of eye-catchers and see if they align with what you find important in a job
0

Melissa’s Answer

0
I’d recommend applying for a variety of positions, even if they aren’t exactly what you’re looking for in order to gain experience with the interviewing process. The more you interview, the better you will get. Also the more connections you will make. Best of luck.
0

Preeti Jose’s Answer

0
Hi Laurel, firstly good luck with your job search. To begin with you should evaluate what are your strengths vs skills. Skills are something you can develop by getting trained on different things. Human psychology proves that even if you don't enjoy a certain task you can develop the skill for it by getting trained on it. However, Strengths are different, strengths are things you are good at and also something that makes you feel strong and makes you feel energized. It doesn't drain you out at the end of the day, you look forward to doing more of that activity. Once you figure this out for yourself, you would know what to chase. This should become your end goal and from here you can work backwards on looking for open roles in the industry (search on LinkedIn, read blogs of people who have worked in that industry), prepare your CV accordingly, making sure you use those keywords from your search (since recruiters pick up those keywords when they shortlist the CVs). Hope this gives you a fair idea. Happy to help/mentor further.
0

Jason’s Answer

0
You have to set goals for yourself and research potential employers to find out what life working for them is really like. There are many excellent resources online where people provide feedback on their employers.
0

0

well, let's see.

commute time and distance. I read somewhere that you should count all the hours from the time you leave your house until the time you get home, when calculating your hourly rate.

benefits: medical insurance, 401K matching contribution.

training, turnover, opportunity for advancement, what other employees say about it on sites like Glassdoor.

If you can visualize yourself doing that job in that environment for that company.

Will lit help you get to where you want to go, even if it is not all that great?

0

Stacey’s Answer

0
Great question!

I would recommend looking for something that offers growth & advancement opportunities as the years go by. It helps employers know that you are interested in a long term career path with them. Employers spend a lot of money on training and they want to know you're committed.
Be sure to look at the benefits the company provides. Good healthcare insurance, 401k options, etc. I know that when you're young you may not be thinking about retirement but it's beneficial to start when you're young!

Best of luck in your job search!
0