What is the best advice you can give an aspiring lawyer about to start college?

4

I'm not 100% sure I want to be a lawyer but I definitely want to have a career in the law field. Whether it be steps I should start taking now or attitudes to go into college with, what's some advice qualified people in law related careers or students about to graduate can give me? Thank you! #college #law #lawyer #graduate #advice #justice #legal

4

Alexandra’s Answer

1

Hello there, future fellow lawyer. I am a lawyer and would like to share some advice from an academic, professional and personal perspective.

First, speaking of academic achievement, take some classes in political theory and philosophy. Try to take classes that involve a lot of reading and helping you develop analytical skills. Second, professionally speaking, try to get an internship or some part-time work as a paralegal so you can meet real lawyers and see what it likes to be one. Third, think about your personal goals and why you want to be a lawyer. Are you looking into criminal or corporate law? Or maybe litigation? These are all types of law but they are very, very different. Think about your own personality and what makes you happy. Not everyone enjoys going to court and litigating. Some people are really afraid of taking criminal cases. Others prefer reviewing contracts. Try to meet people who have done different things and get a taste of each of these.

Alexandra recommends the following next steps:

• Look for internship opportunities as a paralegal
  • Speak to lawyers from different fields (corporate, litigation, criminal, divorce, trusts and estate, tax)
  • Choose some philosophy or political science classes in college
1

Meredith’s Answer

0
My advice to you is take things one step at a time. That is great that you have an end goal in mind. However, you will need to focus on the immediate future first. You can look at the classes at your university to determine what interests you and what would be beneficial towards a legal career. For example, you may be interested in political science or government. Those type of courses lend themselves to legal careers as you would learn how laws are made. Try to figure out what you most enjoy doing and why you are interested in the legal field. Talk to anyone you know that may be in the legal field about their experiences and to see if they have suggestions. You want to make sure that it is really worth the financial and time commitment. Good luck. #legal #law
0

Carmela’s Answer

0

From an academic perspective, I suggest seeking out college classes that will help you develop critcal thinking, writing skills and presentation/public speaking skills. In my experience, this is far more important than your college major -- unless perhaps you decide to go into an area of law for which expertise in a particular field would help (for example, if you decided you really wanted to practice sports law, you might want to major in -- or even just take some classes in -- sports management).

I also suggest getting as much law-related work experience as you can -- whether in internships or paid positions. This will help you focus your career preferences and also bolster your law school application (in case you do decide to apply). It's a good idea to visit the internship and career counseling departments at your college early on. Also, look at law school admission requirements now, so you know what to expect and can focus on becoming a desirable applicant. Law school admissions and the legal profession are very competitive, so gather as much information as you can now in order to (a) evaluate your interest, and (b) begin to think strategically about how to navigate law school and a career.

0

Bruce’s Answer

0

Make sure that you want to become a lawyer for reasons other than money. Make goor grades to get into the best law school.

0