Is studying biology or biomedcial engeneering as an undergraduate beter if I want to attend medical school after college?

5

I am visiting colleges this summer and trying to determine my course of study in college. I currently want to be either a Orthopedic Surgeon, Cardiologist, or Neurologist. #professor #pre-med #phd #medicine #healthcare #hospital-and-health-care #neuroscience #orthopedics #cardiology

5

Estelle’s Answer

0
EIther of these majors will be fantastic. Choose a major that you really enjoy so that your grades will be awesome and you will get strong letters of recommendation. Study hard for the MCAT, and use a prep course like Kaplan Review or Exam Krackers. Get about 40 hours of shadowing experience and have some people that you admire look over your personal statements on your medical school applications. Good luck!
0

0
Major in whatever field interests you and will allow you to maintain an excellent GPA. I majored in Spanish literature and had no trouble with my med school applications. You do need to complete the pre-med requirements that vary from school to school. These include at least a year of biology, 1 year inorganic chemistry, 1 year organic chemistry + labs, physics, calculus, and biochemistry. Your junior year, you will need to take an MCAT study course prior to taking the MCAT. With a solid GPA and MCAT score, you should be a competitive applicant.

Be careful with any engineering degree because sometimes it can be hard to maintain a good GPA. You must try to have a 3.8+.
0

Ahmad’s Answer

0
Yes because it puts you i n the same atmospohere like the college afterwards. Specially if you gonna go for medical proffesinoal.
0

0
Pick a major that interests you. You will need to get good grades in college in order to apply for medical school. At the medical school I attended, the average GPA is reported to be 3.85, so even one or two B's can hurt your chances of acceptance.

Biomedical engineering probably offers more of a back-up plan if med school doesn't work out.
0