What career best fits my strengths and hobbies?

I'm a senior in high school and would like a future career as an auto-mechanic. My two strongest strengths are: I never give up and I am a problem solver. My hobbies are working and playing problem solving games. Given my strengths and hobbies what kind of career best fits me? What other strengths and experience might I need to become an auto-mechanic?
#automotive #cars #trucks #mechanic #strengths #hobbies

3

Brianne’s Answer

Dominick, those are great strengths to have if you're looking to become a mechanic! Particularly, the problem solving. I guarantee you have other strengths that align to not only the automotive industry but potentially others. I would recommend getting a better understanding of what those are, regardless of the career path you choose. Doing a personality assessment can help you with this. I would recommend one like the below, Myers Briggs.

Myers & Briggs
https://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/home.htm?bhcp=1

I would also recommend pursing the certifications you need and/or pursuing an apprenticeship to become a qualified mechanic. For example, start looking at which ASE certifications align with the type of mechanic work you're interested in. Your school counselor should be able to direct you to local or online programs to get you started.

Thank you Brianne! I appreciate your answer and it is very helpful. Dominick R.

0

For another perspective, if you enjoy creating or improving things, automotive modification/performance/customization may be an avenue for you as well. There's plenty of problem solving required when a customer brings their desire to you and you then need to transform it into reality. I personally have found this aspect of automotive work more rewarding than pure repair work seen in most shops.

Examples would be automotive performance and tuning, car audio and entertainment, paint and bodywork, off-road, and more.

0

Erika’s Answer

Hi Dominick! I agree with Brianne. It sounds like you have a lot of the strengths needed to become a successful mechanic! In addition to pursuing the appropriate certifications, I would look in your area for an experienced, highly recommended mechanic to interview or shadow for their advice. Connecting with and maintaining a relationship with career mentors can be a wonderful resource as you pursue your own career. Finally, have you ever considered a career as an equipment, vehicle or airplane mechanic in one of the military services? Best wishes!

Thank you Erika! I will take your advice into great consideration. I have not considered anything in the military. Dominick R.

0