what are the types of veterinarians? if so do you need to study that specific position In college? or do you study everything from there?

I want to be a vet surgeon, and i'm not sure if there's a specific name for that. I also want to know what it's like, besides doing surgeries, and if there's other things that need to be done. I also want to make sure i'm taking the right path. thank you!
#surgeon #veterinarian

1

Julie’s Answer

Hi Ariel! After attaining your doctorate in veterinary medicine, you can go onto complete additional training and certification to become a veterinary surgeon (among other specialties). As a general practitioner vet, I have relied on veterinary surgeons to perform orthopedic or surgical consults, perform non-routine surgeries, perform challenging surgeries in which there is a higher level of risk to the patient (e.g., removal of a skin mass near the jugular vein), and review X-rays . I'm sure there are multiple other roles they fill as well. I recommend you review the website below, as well as use this resource to reach out to a veterinary surgeon in your area to see if they will allow you to shadow them. Many veterinarians love to mentor and give back to the community, and seeing what a veterinary surgeon does on a day-to-day would give you the best insight. You can also use this experience to determine whether veterinary surgical specialization is what you want to pursue as it involves several years of additional training beyond the doctorate. Hope this helps!

https://www.acvs.org/what-is-a-veterinary-surgeon

0