As I begin to explore possible subjects in higher education, what major would best teach me the skills most useful in landing and excelling at a consulting job at a respected firm?

Asked New York, New York

I am currently taking a business management course at Oxford and we have been talking about consulting. We have practised consulting with case studies, but not really discussed what it takes to become one professionally. #business #business-development #consulting #management-consulting #strategic-consulting

Curtis’s Answer

Updated Washington, Washington
Specific to your courses at oxford, I was a business management major myself which has aligned with the work I have done as a consultant. At the associate level I have found that communication skills, being proactive, and being able to think outside the box has helped me most. As mentioned by Michael, finding a discipline that aligns with your passion is key. No matter where you work, or what you make, you will never be satisfied if it is not what you enjoy doing.

Updated California, California
I agree with Pamela in terms of degree choice. I was a Marketing undergrad and Organizational Management major for grad school and ended up in tech consulting. I would consider a discipline that interests you and that you are passionate about. As you graduate and take on work in the consulting space, you will want try to align that skill set and passion in the work you would be doing for clients. I would recommend looking at a tech based minor (at the least) as this seems to be the greatest Demand in the market today. I often will hire students with a strong understanding in a core skill associated in tech - (code development, cyber, SaaS development, etc.) along with a core business discipline like - marketing, sales, finance, Data Management, supply chain management, human capital, etc.

abhi’s Answer

Updated Bengaluru, Karnataka, India

Going to a management consultant would be job one. Management consultants are sometimes called management analysts. Their job is to look at what an organization does as a whole, then work to increase efficiency in most areas. Specifically, they strive to make a business more profitable, usually by helping the owners cut costs and grow revenue. To get there, they might recommend personnel changes, new systems, alternative practices or new procedures. Most are self-employed and work on a contractual basis. To learn more about what it means to be a management consultant, as well as the work it takes to get there, read on.

Ok, got it. Going to look into it some more. Thanks!

Abby’s Answer

Although it doesn't seem like the most glamorous major from the outset, studying Economics can open a lot of doors. Instead of being job-specific like marketing or accounting, the discipline covers the study of how people make decisions, especially with regards to the business cycle. Not to be trite, but it is "the study of how to get the most out of life." This is exactly what consultants do; they optimize company processes, structures, revenue streams, etc. so executives, employees, and society can benefit at the highest level possible.

I started my undergrad experience as a communications major, but because I wanted to go into consulting and simply increase my knowledge of the world, I switched to Economics. It is the best professional decision I have made. My first semester as an econ student, I interviewed with several management consulting firms and landed the internship of my dreams. Not only that, but I felt like I could contribute intelligently to high-level conversations and have an opinion on world events. The major has changed the way I solve problems and look at the world.

According to managementconsulted.com, econ is the #1 major in the consulting world.

Pamela’s Answer

Updated Washington

There several majors that lend to relevant consulting skills! Most of my colleagues were in the business school, however I know several consultants who were engineers or who majored in computer science. I personally was a chemistry major! I think all of the mentioned majors give you the necessary problem solving mid-set that help to make a great consultant. There are several different types of consulting that lend to different skill sets. If you interested in Technology consulting, computer science or information systems could be a great major. Another major thing that makes a good consultant, is communication. I would recommend taking a communications course to be comfortable speaking with people, and a writing course to refine your writing skills.