I understand that as a Forensic Biologist you are looking at DNA and the small micro details to solve a crime, however, how often does this evidence actually lead to a great discovery that solves the case?

I want to be a Forensic Biologist. I know what the job implies, but I really want to know how often the evidence actually leads to solving the crime. #professor #forensicscientist #criminologist #dnaanalysist #forensic #forensic-chemistry #forensic-analysis #biology #law-enforcement #criminal-justice

2

John Randall’s Answer

The Chicago Police utilize Evidence Technicians and The Crime Lab technicians to gather evidence. The Illinois State Police Crime Lab in Chicago at Roosevelt Rd. and Damen Ave. process this information. Contact them to get a better idea of the rate at which a crime is solved. Actually, the rate means nothing. What matters is if the evidence shows a correlation between the crime and a person. Your interest in the field must be in the love of this type of work, nothing else. Good luck. J R Leavy MPA retired (34years)._

0

Francis’s Answer

I was surprised to learn during my education that DNA evidence is used in a small percentage of cases. Estimates vary but DNA evidence is used in approximately 5% of criminal cases. Though DNA is a very powerful tool, more often cases rely on other forms of evidence like striation marks on bullets, fingerprints, hairs and fibers, etc.

0