What should I do if I want to become a financial analyst?

I like math. I’m interested in majoring in Accounting or finance/ business.

#analyst
#finance
#profit #business

3

Matthew’s Answer

Alexia - if you want to become a financial analyst, I think it is best to know where the numbers come from and how they are created. I also think that it is better to come out of college trained to work in a specific career as opposed to having a general degree. An accounting degree will give you both. Knowing how to read and interpret financial statements is really important for a financial analyst and having an accounting degree is better than having a general business degree. The accounting degree is more focused.

When I was in college, I didn't take enough accounting classes to finish my accounting degree and only completed enough courses to get a finance degree. It took me longer to find a job at half the salary of my classmates who finished with an accounting degree. I think it's worth the time and effort to get the accounting degree.

Hopefully you find this helpful. Best of luck in your education and career. I'm confident you will be very successful.

Matthew recommends the following next steps:

Find an accounting firm on the internet or ask friends/family if they know an accountant.
Saved!
Call them and ask them if they have any summer internships.
Saved!
Go and work there for the summer to see if you'd like it.
Saved!
Get to know some accountants and ask them about financial analysis.
Saved!
Build your network of referrals as soon as you can. It's never too early.
Saved!

3

Sumitava’s Answer

Hi Alexia!
Financial Analyst job designation is a bit tricky. The work will differ on the organization you will be joining.
For example, on a Trading Company as a FA, you will have to know everything about trading on the market, for a Banking Company it might be just organizing the way the Bank is working out on the Credits and also how they are investing their money.
I hope this gives you an idea.
However, you can start with a major in Finance. That will give you a head start with a variety of scopes. You will get to know more about Finance and Business perspective, their difference, and their similarities. then you can decide which one you want to learn and go for. Once you are done you can target the companies on the basis of your skill sets and apply to be a Financial Analyst.

0

Austin’s Answer

Accountants and Financial Analysts typically focus on different aspects of the business. Accounting will typically be more nuts and bolts focused while financial analysis will be more focused in on decision making. a way to think about it is accounting will look at how much money do we have on the balance sheet, finance might answer how do we best use this money to grow the business? Both are great and interesting. I would suggest starting with both, trying some internships in both areas and seeing which interests you more.

0