7

How do you become more confident in front of camera when recording videos.

#social-media #videography #confidence #creativity #cameras #photography

7

1

Canan’s Answer

Hello Joseph, Some tips to consider would include:
1. not focusing on the fact that you are being recorded and keep your focus on the messages you are trying to deliver
2. visually focus your attention in one spot to prevent being distracted
3. remember that the people watching you are likely to be focusing on what you are saying not who you are or what you look like
4. include a hook at the outset of your presentation to get people's attention e.g. a short authentic story about yourself, who you are
5. keep you messages and structure short and succinct to maintain peoples' attention
6. explore public speaking lessons e.g. TED talks online
1
1

Dexter’s Answer

Hi Joseph,

I would say practice, practice, and more practice.

I am someone that is on the shyer end of the spectrum, when it comes to public speaking, but have improved my confidence by practicing. I did this by taking a few courses in college (public speaking, speech, etc), and by volunteering at public speaking opportunities. Similarly, for speaking in front of videos, one can improve by practicing. Basically, if you do it enough, you won't even think about the camera, and thus, you'll be able to be yourself. It all sounds easy, but for me, this being the 20 yr anniversary of my Speech 101 class, I still feel like I'm going to throw up if I'm speaking in front of a few hundred people. But, I've learned to take that nervous energy, get a decent start, then get comfortable once the talk is underway. I hear from my friends that I'm a great public speaker, but trust me, I sure don't feel like it.

Once you get comfortable with public speaking, I would then start viewing guides like this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9aLYaZDndY) to learn from the people that do it all the time.

Anyways, I wish you the best of luck, and I'm very thankful that you asked this question, given that public speaking is such an important skill for everyone.

--
Dexter
1
0

LaTonya’s Answer

Joseph, Toastmasters International provides speaking opportunities to its members and guests (https://www.toastmasters.org/find-a-club). I agree with the others, practice is the key. Record yourself and upload it to your private channel FOR YOUR VIEWING ONLY. Then, repeat several times. Watch yourself talk in the mirror. Pronounce each of your words. If you can't hear in your surroundings, use one finger to close your ear. Listen to yourself speak.

You have a purpose and a light to shine in the world. Keep going!
0
0

Canan’s Answer

0
0

Samantha’s Answer

Just keep doing it. When I first started my youtube channel I was super nervous and had to keep rerecording the video before posting it. But now im getting mote comfortable in front of the camera.
0
0

Alex’s Answer

Practice! That's the best way to go. Start by videocalling a friend or a family member. Pay attention to the light around you and find a right camera angle that makes you feel confident. Those look like unimportant things, but are tiny details which make you feel more confident in front of a camera. You could also set these things up by yourself, making sure you get it right and like the way you appear.
If you feel you need to improve your speech skills, start by reading out loud. Find your own pace and even how to modulate your own voice, so you avoid shouting at the camera!

I hope this helps you. In my experience, getting used to being in front of a camera takes some time but it is doable. Bes of luck, Joseph!

Alex
0
0

Todd’s Answer

Practice over and over. Practice in the mirror and know what you’re talking about. With more time comes more confidence. Get feedback from friends and family.
0