1208
views

What is the toughest thing about being in sales?

What are some tricks you learned on the way?

Question Topics

icon-country-tagsunited-states-of-america

1501

20

11 answers:

12next page »

I love Sales, so to say anything is "hard" about it is hard for me. The most challenging thing for me having been in various sales role for years was controlling the way you communicate challenges to customers that you have no control over. You still have to own the message without shifting the blame but with confidence in resolution. Customers are wonderful and as long as you're genuinely seeking to help them solve their operational challenges while keeping an eye on their future planning, you'll do great!

Most people find the most difficult aspect of commission-based sales is learning to live with a variable income. Some months you make $5000, sometimes you make $15,000. Some you may make nothing. The solution is to put all your money into a commissions account and then pay yourself a fixed income from that account. So one month you make $15,000 but you pay yourself $7000 and keep the extra $8000 in the bank. Next month, you only make $5000 but you pay yourself $7000 anyway, taking the extra $2000 from last month's commissions.

The worst kind of sales people are focused on their commissions and not the client's problem. The best sales people are what I call "brother in law sales people." They understand the customer environment and know the product well enough to explain how the product can solve the client problem. Just like if your brother-in-law was an expert in cars, he wouldn't just say "buy this thing because I get a commission," he'd ask, "Tell me about how you drive. Do you pull a trailer? Do you have kids? Do you take long car trips?" In short, he'd help you clarify your objectives and find the car that best fits your lifestyle.

Sales is a wonderful profession, filled with people who are brilliant and also those who are idiots. It's the idiots who ruin the profession's reputation. But the sales reps who help customers are gold. And they get paid really well as a result.

One comment

Being great at sales is actually quite easy! Great sales people know that selling is 80% listening and 20% talking as that way they understand and provide powerful solutions to their customers needs. The toughest part about selling is remembering that 80/20 rule - the more sales people increase the 20, the tougher selling becomes.

One comment

Many new sales people tell me the toughest thing about sales is the rejection, or "no" they receive from a prospective customer. When I hear "no" I consider that to be an opportunity to provide a better (or different) value proposition or ask the prospect who I can talk to that would be interested in what I have to offer. While they may not be interested in what you're selling, someone within their organization, industry, network or neighborhood might....you'll never know until you ask.

The bottom line is never give up. Be respectful and put yourself in your prospective customer's position. Sometimes a customer just doesn't have a need for what you're selling....knowing that you can't win them all will help you stay positive and move on to the next prospect/opportunity.

One of the most valuable tools I use is the referral. That referral might be from an existing customer that likes and uses my service, it might be referencing an article I read about a company similar to theirs that could benefit from my services....letting a new prospect know that there is someone else out there who either has or may use your services for the benefits you offer can help you get your foot in the door. Of course once your foot is there, you need to offer something that can help the customer be more....efficient, save costs, solve a problem, boost revenue.....whatever it is you're offering has to provide value.

Find the customer's problem and help them solve it! Turn the "no" into a referral, and always stay positive!

One comment

Sales is tough because you have to be able to convince the customer that they need something they aren't currently buying from you. You have to have the tenacity to keep pursuing the sales, because your first few attempts are going to be unsuccessful. Sales takes a lot of planning and research before being able to present a solid business case to the customer on why they should buy your product. Understanding your customer and their challenges is important. Then position the benefits of your product/service to help solve the customers problem.

One comment

These days I think it is good to use Consultive Seling Approach. It means listen to customer what they need, what are their issues and how can you help them with your product/service. It is not anymore about persuade the customer that he/she needs something. It was just in a nutshell - google Consultive Seling Approach for more information. And what I think is the toughest thing in Sales? Usually when the sales numbers in the company are great, than everybody (across all departments) achieved this success, but when there is sales crises than usually only sales is guilty:-)

One comment

This challenge can clearly vary whether you're selling for a well-known company vs a start-up with a novel, unheard-of service. Worse than a "no" is silence--no response--indifference. And that challenges us to revisit our approach. Access your resources (colleagues, boss, supporting departments, case studies, data). Work to improve your message and the value proposition that you're bringing to your prospects. How are you going to help them succeed? That's what they care about--making a good decision...including that first decision to call you back or return your email or click on that link you provided. Then talk about what matters to them--and how you're in a position to help. If you have examples, show examples of successful scenarios involving your product or service. DO that frequently. Finally, whatever you're selling, stay persistent and resilient. Smile--even if you're on the phone--somehow, that comes thru. And pack that pipeline. Something good will come out the other end.

The Toughest thing I would say is keeping yourself Motivated in hard Times. Self Motivation is the Key to success.

As far as i'm concerned, the toughest thing would be to keep calm and focused when the level of stress is on the rise.

Let's say your customer is facing a negative experience and is expressing how unhappy he is. It will feel like the customer is holding you responsible for the bad experience. My tip would be to not take it personally, at the end of the day being in sales is centered around understanding your customers and helping them out with their needs. keep professional, listen, understand and solve the problem as swiftly as possible. I'm sure you'll do great !! :)

The fact that some days you will do the same things over and over it feels like...but then one day...something different happens and you really connect with a customer and truly help them out...those days you go home feeling like a winner! I currently employ hundreds of sales reps that I lead indirectly. This means those people are actually paid by someone else to sell the product my company offers. It is similar to a franchise company. I started in sales because I have the ability to literally talk to anyone. Anyone. This skill set allowed me to connect with people, build a relationship with them, earn their trust, and then offer them a solution or product. If you don't connect with your customer, you are just a "used car sales man". Now that I am in management I have to build those same relationships with my internal customer or my sales reps that sell for me. But....I don't sign their pay checks so I have to convince them to sell my product through relationship building and relating with them. You can teach the widget to anyone...but not just anyone can learn people skills!