Jackie G.

1981

43

What social media skills can I learn to put on my resume?

I am not a communications or advertising/marketing major. I am a STEM major. But, I heard that many jobs want skills in social media and online resources. I know how to use Facebook, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Google Drive/Docs, DropBox, and Mendeley. Can these be added to my resume? What other websites can I learn to use that may be good resume boosters? #college #job-search #communications #resume #stem #social-media #communication-skills #job-application

This is a great question. All of the social media pages you mentioned will help you with any professional job and additionally, any basic hard web skills you have building basic websites, managing a blog, creating memes or other content, can really help foster a common interest community on the internet, regardless of the industry or business model. Playing around with Wordpress,com, Weebly.com, or Square Space.com to learn the fundamentals of building and managing a few webpages, will allow you to feel comfortable managing a community in any field, including math and science. Knowing how to create event invitations online, use hashtags appropriately to mine topics on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or other "trending" sites can help you connect to others in the STEM field, working on similar topics as you.

Learning how to leverage Q&A sites like Quora.com and Reddit,com can be helpful for any kind of professional, but especially in STEM fields where you might want to connect with other scientists or engineers working on similar research topics as you. It's a great way to create subcommunities based on common interests, and to do primary research with potential customers or subject matter experts. I hope this helps!

Last updated Jan 13 '17 at 23:16

1 comment

Hi Jakie!

It is very important to remember that a resume is to be a concise and streamlined document focused on the career area that it addresses and contains only those items that are relevant and used in that career area.

Here is good place to start to focus on your career area. Here are some exercises that might help you to identify a career area upon which to focus: https://www.themuse.com/advice/14-free-personality-tests-thatll-help-you-figure-yourself-out

When you identify career areas of interest, here are some good next steps: - talk to your school counselor/academic adviser about participating in coop, intern, volunteer, and shadowing programs that will allow you to learn more about these areas, what people to, how they got there, what social media tools they use, and how you feel about the career area. - talk to the head of alumni relations at your school to arrange to meet and visit graduates of your school who are doing what you think that you would want to do, so you can learn more - talk to the reference librarian at your local library to locate and attend meetings of professional organizations to which people in your area of interest belong, so you can mix and mingle and learn more

Here are some good tips on networking that will allow you to get valuable information and create helpful relationships: http://www.wikihow.com/Network https://www.themuse.com/advice/nonawkward-ways-to-start-and-end-networking-conversations

Here is a site that will help you explore STEM careers: http://www.engineergirl.org/

Looking for an appropriate career area is like buying a pair of shoes. They may look great, but you need to try them on and walk in them for a while to determine proper fit and comfort.

It is very important also to remember that interpersonal relationships and interpersonal communication are very important. Too often people, especially in STEM related careers, over look the importance of face to face interaction. References to skills and experiences in these areas are important also to include on your resume. Formulating and participating in engineering and scientific endeavors are not worth much unless someone can adequately communicate to explain their operation and importance in both the spoken and written word.

Last updated Jan 14 '17 at 08:20

2 comments

Schools Add a schools