How do I start an advertising campaign?

Asked Bedford, Massachusetts

I recently came across a small cafe near my home;it's nice, comfy, and sells good Coffee. The cafe is new (4-5 months) and is having trouble bringing in business ,I offered to help them market their store and they agreed. I only have the most basic understanding of what advertising means . #marketing #advertising #marketing-and-advertising #sales #social-media-marketing #digital-marketing #sales-management

Miriam’s Answer

Updated Hartford, Connecticut

For one, they should have a Facebook page (where they can offer promotions). They should have a VIP rewards card that can be punched. After so many coffees, they should be able to get 1 free! They should have a Senior discount card too.

Signage: Should be large and loud and seen from any major intersection.

Offer discounts for anyone who lives in that town.

Serve the local business community and serve coffee at any of their functions for a % OFF.

Nice looking website with a downloadable discount.

Good Luck!

Charles’s Answer

Updated Southfield, Michigan

Some good advice here. For little to no money start with online and social media. Check out the books by Gary Vaynerchuk. First what you do is analyze the customer base. Who drinks there? Teens? Young 20 somethings? Older? That there will tell what mediums needed to engage them. For teens to 20 somethings Instagram and Snapchat. Facebook for sure. The advice about being on Google and Yelp is great too. Then if you have a budget consider traditional media. Perhaps radio and tv? Account Executives in those fields can fill you in on what they offer reaches what demographics you want to market to. Finally word of mouth? Look at what is around this coffee shop and if there are any direct ways to market them? Is there a large office building or school? Make up some vip cards and menus with nice pictures and put those in areas around those buildings. Most business will have an office manager who might let you leave info in common area like company kitchen. In doing this look at where they're located and perhaps figure where people might be commuting too and from. If there is a college nearby, perhaps try marketing to local clubs who need a space to hold meetings or small events? Perhaps look into bringing musicians? However some permits maybe needed for that in some places? Some coffee houses near me open their walls to local artists to sell their work and those artists have events as well that bring people in. I would think the coffee house gets a cut from of what is sold.

Julien’s Answer

Updated California, California

Hi Carlos,

I'm not sure if you have any budget but even if you don't there are things you can do to give more exposure to this business.

What you can do for free Since it's a cafe, make sure the business is listed on Google Maps, Yelp, TripAdvisor etc. Tell them to have a presence on the most popular Social Networks, I'd recommend Facebook and Instagram

What you can do with budget For a coffee, it's going to be competitive but you could use Ads (Google AdWords, Facebook Ads)

Hope that helps!

Sophia’s Answer

Updated New York, New York

Its a neighborhood place. I would do up a pretty one-sheet and distribute it to every house/building in a 5 block radius. The other thing the store could do is offer something like free coffee with purchase of a muffin, bagel, etc for one week and see if that helps traffic. Of course, they have to be able to afford that.

Theresa’s Answer

Updated Austin, Texas
You have already received so great responses. I would add checking ad placements in neighborhood flyers/newspapers. Most often these are dispersed free to folks in regional areas paid for by ads in the back pages. I see lots of new businesses offer discounts to get new customers to try their products/services.